Film and Media Arts Scholarships

The School of Theater, Film and Media Arts gives several awards to undergraduate students at the end of each academic year, unless the particular scholarship specifies another date of notification. Students must apply for the awards, and the number of awards may vary from year to year. Awards and scholarships range from $500 to $2,000.

Scholarship funds include the following opportunities.

  • The Beatrice Deglin Leder Film and Video Award Fund is a production award given to an outstanding sophomore or junior in the Department of Film and Media Arts to complete a film or video work currently in progress. Applicants submit a DVD or tape of their work along with a budget and timetable for completion.
  • The Ben and Minnie Lazaroff Scholarship is an annual award given to a talented student in the screenwriting program, who is enrolled in the spring semester. The fund is to be used for the following school year.
  • The Derek Freese Filmmaker Award is a production award given to the two best films from the Senior Project course at the end of the school year, presented at the Diamond Screen Film Festival awards ceremony. An outside jury, selected by class instructor, nominates five films for the award. The Derek Freese Film Foundation board of directors then selects the two winners.
  • The Jason Schoenagle ’94 Award Fund was established in 2007 by the family and friends of Jason Schoenagle, TFM ’94, to provide awards to academically excellent Film and Media Arts majors with financial need who are studying in the Los Angeles Internship Program.
  • The Motion Picture Scholarship Award is an annual award given to Film and Media Arts students who have demonstrated academic achievement and financial need.
  • The National Princess Grace Foundation Scholarship Awards is an invitation-only film grant for undergraduate or graduate students in their second or last year of study who have completed a film and are working on their student thesis film.

Learn more about scholarship deadlines and application procedures.

Financial Aid

Follow these steps to apply for financial aid. Learn how your student status affects your financial aid options and application process. Read about your educational grant and loan options.

Contact Student Financial Services at or 215-204-2244 with any questions you might have.

Federal Stafford Loans

Applying for federal Stafford loans requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). At Temple University, unsubsidized Stafford loans are available to full-time students up to a maximum amount of $20,500 annually.

Federal Work-study

Eligibility for the Federal Work-study Program is based on the applicant’s need as determined by the information on the applicants FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled at least half time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students are paid biweekly for hours worked.

Learn aid, scholarship and work-study options at Student Financial Services.