Master of Music in Instrumental Conducting with Wind-Band Emphasis
Develop an advanced understanding of the artistry and technique of wind-band conducting with the Master of Music in Instrumental Conducting with Wind-Band Emphasis in Temple’s Boyer College of Music and Dance. Focus on wind instruments and band ensembles. Students who complete this 32-credit, six-year master’s degree are prepared for doctoral studies, as well as careers as conductor-educators in an academic or professional setting.
Learn how to conduct rehearsals and train your ear to identify simultaneous musical events in ensembles. Through the coursework, you will
- learn effective and thorough score study and preparation,
- develop advanced physical conducting technique, and
- train to lead efficient rehearsals and sectionals, culminating in performance.
In addition to lesson courses, you’ll explore music analysis and style, as well as performance.
Based in Philadelphia, the program gives students the opportunity to study in close proximity to prestigious institutions such as the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts and the Philadelphia Orchestra. The Master of Music in Instrumental Conducting with Wind-Band Emphasis is part of Temple’s interdisciplinary Center for the Performing and Cinematic Arts.
Classes & Curriculum
Students in the Instrumental Conducting Wind Band MM program receive advanced instruction in conducting technique, artistry and scholarship.
Required courses you must take during your program include
- Advanced Orchestral Conducting;
- Private Lessons: Instrumental Conducting Major;
- Research in Music; and
- Wind Repertory in History: European Antiquity through the 21st Century.
Related Graduate Degrees
- Choral Conducting MM
- Collaborative Piano and Chamber Music MM
- Collaborative Piano and Opera Coaching MM
- Jazz Studies MM
- Music MA
- Music MS
- Music PhD
- Music Composition MM
- Music Education MM
- Music Education PhD
- Music History MM
- Piano Pedagogy MM