Master of Music in Music Education
Develop your teaching skills, delve into research or further your music education in preparation for doctoral studies with a Master of Music in Music Education degree in Temple’s Boyer College of Music of Dance. The comprehensive graduate program is structured to help students gain a deeper understanding of advanced educational and music learning theories, key music education principles and effective practices, and research methodologies.
Fully accredited by National Association of Schools of Music, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education and the Pennsylvania Department of Education, this 30-credit degree provides opportunities for studies in music education practice and music education research.
Through a rigorous course of study, students are prepared to seek permanent teaching certification in Pennsylvania, advance existing teaching careers, or apply to music education doctoral programs. Coursework hones knowledge of
- effective practices in music education throughout the lifespan;
- appropriate and effective measurement tools for use in music instructional programs and research;
- artistry in music and music teaching;
- contemporary theories in education and culturally responsive music teaching; and
- modern investigative techniques in music and music education.
You may take up to six years to earn your master’s degree, and you can enroll on a part-time or full-time basis either at Temple’s Main Campus or entirely online. Learn more about your options for completing this program.