Graduate Certificate in Theater Instruction
Develop the expertise to teach drama, lead after-school drama programs or enhance instruction in kindergarten through grade 12 disciplines with the Graduate Certificate in Theater Instruction in the School of Theater, Film and Media Arts at Temple University. Become a more creative and collaborative educator with professional expertise across all areas of theater—including acting, design/technology, directing and history—and integrate your studies into your classroom.
This 15-credit Theater Instruction Certificate (Graduate) program
- equips working drama teachers with additional experience in an evolving profession.
- increases an educator’s potential for advancement within their school or district.
- meets the guidelines for drama teachers pursuing the Pennsylvania Department of Education Theatre Endorsement.
- provides teachers of any discipline with the skills to create meaningful engagement in the classroom through performance arts.
The program’s curriculum is offered in hybrid, online and intensive formats to accommodate your teaching schedule. Intensives are held in Summer II sessions on Temple’s Main Campus, while other courses are held completely online or as hybrids that provide you direct contact with faculty and productions.
This program is part of a nationally accredited theater department. It is led by distinguished faculty members, many of whom have decades of professional experience in all areas of theater, including acting, direction and production design, in cities such as Chicago, New York City and Philadelphia. Faculty members also have experience teaching drama and theater techniques to students of all ages and experience levels.
Classes & Curriculum
The 15-credit Theater Instruction Graduate Certificate comprises the following five courses.
- Acting 1 for Teachers
- Methods of Teaching Theater for Teachers
- Stage Management for Teachers
- Welcome Backstage for Teachers
- World of the Play for Teachers
Related Graduate Degrees
Graduates of the Theater Instruction Graduate Certificate are prepared to incorporate drama and theater performance in kindergarten through grade 12 classrooms. This program also prepares professional educators seeking the Pennsylvania Department of Education Theatre Endorsement. Students form the foundation to pursue careers in drama or theater, and current drama educators can advance their careers.