Geology Major

Learn the foundational concepts of geology and the biological, chemical and physical processes that shaped Earth over time with the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Geology from Temple University's College of Science and Technology. You’ll cover topics about energy resources, environmental protection, and geologic hazards, such as earthquakes, floods, and global climate change. Elevate your degree with a combination of upper-level classes that meet your interests and future goals, and prepare for postgraduate study or a career in development, policy and research.

Choosing between the BA and BS

The Bachelor of Arts (BA) is geared toward liberal arts students who want to concentrate in geology. It is also well-suited for pre-medicine and pre-law students as well as those planning to teach earth science in secondary school. The BA degree requires slightly fewer credit hours than the BS degree, so you will have sufficient flexibility for electives outside the major.

The Bachelor of Science (BS) involves foundational and advanced science courses and is the best choice if you are considering graduate studies in the geosciences. It also provides excellent preparation for a career in government, industry, research and teaching. 

Learn more about courses and curriculum for the Geology BA and BS.

Geology Major / Master of Education

You can also earn a Geology Major from the College of Science and Technology and a Master of Education from the College of Education. Qualified students can earn a master’s degree in five years, instead of taking the usual six. Learn more about pursuing this accelerated degree.

Related Graduate Degrees

Tuition & Fees

In keeping with Temple’s commitment to access and affordability, the Bachelor of Science program offers a competitive level of tuition with multiple opportunities for financial support.

Tuition rates are set annually by the university and are affected by multiple factors, including program degree level (undergraduate or graduate), course load (full- or part-time), in-state or out-of-state residency and more. Learn more about our tuition and fees.

These tuition costs apply to the 2017–2018 academic year.

Pennsylvania resident:  [node:field_tuprog_tuition_resident] per year
Out-of-state: [node:field_tuprog_tuition_nonresident] per year