Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education: Mathematics
Temple’s Bachelor of Science in Education (BSEd) in Secondary Education: Mathematics prepares students in mathematics theories and processes, as well as focusing on teaching methods, and learner engagement and behavior.
Secondary Education: Mathematics students can choose between two programs that differ in terms of the proportion of courses in the Mathematics major and that of education-related courses on the nature of adolescents and how to teach.
Students seeking certification in Secondary Education: Mathematics must complete the requirements for the major in Secondary Education: Mathematics and for the Mathematics major as specified by the College of Science and Technology.
Middle School (7th & 8th Grades) and High School Mathematics Program
The Mathematics Education program follows the standards and recommendations of leading mathematics professional organizations such as the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. The curriculum is designed to provide candidates with knowledge of the interests and abilities of students at different levels of mathematics achievement. The program emphasizes problem-solving skills, mathematical thinking processes and methods of actively engaging children and young adults in their own learning.
The program includes:
- 16 courses offered by the College of Science and Technology that provide comprehensive content knowledge of mathematics (e.g., calculus, probability theory, modern geometry, etc.)
- 15 courses offered by the College of Education that provide comprehensive knowledge of adolescent development and effective techniques for teaching mathematics to diverse learners.
This degree program prepares you to earn teaching certification in Pennsylvania’s teacher certification exams. Visit the Certification Office to learn more about certification.
Related Graduate Degrees
- Accomplished Teaching MSEd
- Autism Endorsement
- English as a Second Language Certificate
- Instructional Coaching Endorsement
- Instructional Learning Technology
- School Leadership MEd
- Special Education MEd
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages MSEd
- Teacher Leadership MEd
- Urban Education Certificate
- Urban Education MEd
Review the full list of the College of Education’s graduate degree and graduate certificate programs.