Master of Science in Athletic Training
Prepare to become a certified athletic trainer with the entry-level Master of Science in Athletic Training in Temple’s College of Public Health. This program is designed for students who have an undergraduate degree in another field. Students in the program are prepared for clinical practice as professionals trained in
- injury or illness prevention and wellness protection,
- clinical evaluation and diagnosis,
- immediate and emergency care,
- treatment and rehabilitation, and
- organizational and professional health and well-being.
In the MSAT program, you will learn to evaluate research literature in order to make evidence-based decisions in your future practice with patients. Coursework integrates cultural competency and professionalism in global healthcare delivery. The program includes a special emphasis on concussion and mild traumatic brain injury education. Students also learn to collaborate effectively with interprofessional healthcare teams, patients and athletic program administrators.
Athletic trainers work with a broad range of people including professional athletes, individuals engaged in recreational sports and activities, and those whose employment requires physical movement. Our graduates are employed in a wide range of athletic training environments, including professional, college and high school sports; sports medicine and physical therapy clinics; and nontraditional settings in which employees are conducting physical activity and are at risk of movement-related injury.
What sets apart our MS in Athletic Training?
- Unparalleled clinical practice experience: Students in Temple’s athletic training program are offered clinical placements in NCAA Division I, small college and high school settings.
- New educational space: Our state-of-the-art clinical education lab contains ceiling-mounted live cameras that enhance clinical instruction, as well as expanded modalities that include electrical stimulation, a hot/cold tub and ultrasound. The lab simulates the kinds of athletic training rooms graduates will encounter in the field.
- Student diversity: The students in our athletic training program come from a wide range of personal and clinical backgrounds, races and ethnicities, which enriches discussion and exposes you to diverse perspectives and experiences.
- A renowned program with expert faculty: Temple has been a leader in athletic training education for more than 30 years, and our faculty are nationally recognized experts in concussion, evidence-based practice, policy development in sport and shoulder injury.
Program Format and AT Certification
You can complete the master’s degree in two years of full-time study. The program balances classroom learning and extensive clinical experiences. All courses are conducted onsite at Temple’s Main Campus.
Graduates of the MSAT degree program are eligible to take the Board of Certification examination to become a certified athletic trainer. For more information on the certification process, visit the Board of Certification website. For more information about state regulatory processes, visit the NATA website.