Doctor of Business Administration
The Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) in Temple’s Fox School of Business is designed to provide executive-level professionals the tools necessary to keep up with the evolutionary nature of industry, and continue to advance in their companies and respective fields.
Those who choose to continue beyond the master’s level to pursue a Doctor of Business Administration are driven by a desire to ignite real change in their companies or fields through effective leadership. Fox’s accredited and rigorous program provides business professionals with the competitive edge needed to transition into C-level executive, consulting and other impactful positions.
The DBA program curriculum uses applied theory and extensive data-driven research to introduce students to new perspectives on company management and offer solutions to the complex challenges facing today’s businesses.
In addition to translatable decision-making and problem-solving skills and managerial techniques, the program provides hands-on industry experiences and examples, as well as valuable alumni connections and networking opportunities. For those interested in pursuing an academic path, the program prepares students to effectively educate others in the field of business.
What sets the Fox DBA apart?
The Fox School of Business's collaborative, cohort-style environment provides ample opportunity to work directly with other students, as well as experienced faculty who
- are highly awarded and frequently published in their fields;
- serve on regional and national organizational boards and have consulted for large corporations; and
- represent an overall wealth of knowledge and experience in executive-level business administration.
The school’s personalized mentorship program is available to help navigate academic, research and professional processes, and Fox’s state-of-the-art research centers and institutes provide the support and resources needed to tackle some of the most complex questions facing the business world today.
The three-year, part-time executive DBA program is conveniently delivered through six on-site weekend residences per year (Friday through Sunday) for the first two years, with additional online components—ideal for busy working professionals balancing work, education, families and other responsibilities.
Fox’s location in Philadelphia affords the conveniences and benefits that come with an urban university, including public transportation, proximity to regionally based corporations, national conferences and ample opportunities to engage in professional events.
Finally, students leave the program well-prepared to advance as executives, possessing the valuable experience and confidence that comes with a Temple education.
Deciding Between the DBA and PhD
The Doctor of Business Administration differs from the Business Administration PhD program in several key ways.
- The DBA is an executive-level program designed for working professionals with extensive managerial experience—usually 10 to 15 years—as well as an MBA or equivalent master’s degree, who are looking to advance further in their career and respective fields. DBA students investigate applied research problems, and their work usually addresses issues within their current professional organization or field. The DBA can be completed in three years on a part-time basis, whereas the average PhD program takes five years to complete on a full-time basis.
- The PhD program is targeted toward those interested in pursuing research-focused careers in academia. Students in the PhD program focus on broad, theoretical issues and questions relating to business.