Master of Science in Actuarial Science
Prepare for a career analyzing and evaluating financial risk with the Master of Science in Actuarial Science in the Fox School of Business at Temple University. Build competency around statistical analysis and financial theory with this master’s degree program, acquiring the knowledge to pass the many professional exams needed to become a credentialed associate or fellow. Develop the business acumen and the quantitative and qualitative skills to elevate your candidacy for positions at organizations including
- consulting firms,
- government regulatory organizations,
- insurance companies and
- investment banks.
This graduate program is housed in the Department of Risk, Actuarial Science and Legal Studies which is designated as both a Center of Actuarial Excellence and a Global Center of Insurance Excellence. We participate in the Society of Actuaries University Earned Credit program allowing you to earn credit for all eligible actuarial exams directly through your coursework. State-of-the-art curriculum combining technical skills and industry knowledge introduces and explores the full breadth of core actuarial concepts, including
- valuation of certain and probabilistic cash flows (including life contingencies, financial derivatives and loss models);
- actuarial modeling techniques;
- insurance pricing and reserving (for both life/health/benefits and P&C insurance);
- data analytics and predictive modeling;
- business acumen, such as corporate finance, economics and accounting; and
- enterprise risk management.
Courses taught by dedicated full-time and research-active faculty with actuarial credentials who maintain close relationships with leaders in Philadelphia’s robust insurance and actuarial communities. Weekly campus visits from these professionals present invaluable networking and career development opportunities for master’s students, often leading to internships or full-time work.