Master of Science in Recreational Therapy
The online Master of Science in Recreational Therapy at Temple’s College of Public Health is designed for individuals who want to practice evidence-based recreational therapy within healthcare and human services. The Master of Science in Recreational Therapy will prepare you as a recreational therapist with expertise in
- assessment of participants’ needs;
- development, planning and implementation of evidence-based interventions;
- documentation of participants’ progress; and
- evaluation of evidence-based treatment outcomes.
Students in the Recreational Therapy MS will have the opportunity to determine and develop an area of specialization (including physical rehabilitation, behavioral/mental health, pediatrics, geriatrics and at-risk youth) with guidance from a faculty member. Graduates of the program will also acquire the administrative and managerial skills necessary for career advancement.
Recreational therapy is a profession within the field of healthcare that utilizes structured, evidence-based recreation and leisure activities to improve the lives of people with disabilities or health-related limitations. Students who do not have an academic background in recreational therapy may use the program to meet eligibility requirements for the national credentialing examination for recreational therapists. Learn more about the profession of recreational therapy.
Graduates find practice-based clinical or management roles as professional recreational therapists in a wide range of settings, including
- rehabilitation facilities,
- community settings providing specialized services to individuals with disabilities,
- nursing homes, and
- assisted living facilities.
What sets apart our MS in Recreational Therapy?
- A renowned program available nationally and internationally: Our recreational therapy program has a top-tier reputation and is one of the oldest in the country. We welcome students from different countries, as well as from across the United States.
- A dynamic online environment: The program welcomes students from across the country as well as internationally. Students capitalize on the program’s cutting-edge online learning technologies to hone the skills they need for today’s healthcare and human services settings.
- A diverse student body: Recreational Therapy students come from a wide range of academic and employment backgrounds, including communications, psychology, nursing and special education. This enriches the quality of classroom discussions as well as the hands-on, practice-oriented portions of the curriculum.
Online Program Format
This 36-credit program is offered entirely online with a combination of synchronous components (web conference-based, live class discussions; chat rooms and video meetings) and asynchronous components (discussion boards and other assignments that students complete on their own time). It can be completed full time in two years (including summers) or part time.
While this master’s program does not require prerequisite courses to qualify for admission, students may be required to take additional courses necessary for national certification. These courses are listed in the coursework section as leveling courses.
As an exit requirement, all Recreational Therapy MS students must successfully complete an evidence-based recreation therapy project.