Bachelor of Arts in Asian Studies
Gain comprehensive knowledge of a chosen culture or geographic area in Asia with the Bachelor of Arts in Asian Studies in the College of Liberal Arts at Temple University. Develop the language proficiency and cross-cultural communication skills needed to live or work in an Asian country.
The Asian Studies BA degree program allows you to focus your studies on at least one Asian country or region—such as China, India, Japan, Korea and Vietnam—and explore that region’s defining characteristics. Courses emphasize several subject areas vital to understanding a culture and society, including history, language, philosophy, politics, religion and more.
Through the curriculum, students will
- understand the issues and requirements of cross-cultural communication;
- utilize humanistic and social science disciplines to study a culture; and
- recognize how language serves as a foundation of culture; among others.
This 123-credit major allows you to tailor your degree to your specific interests or career goals. Build the language skills, writing skills and cross-cultural sensitivities necessary to pursue work in several global industries, including business, education, government and media.
Classes & Curriculum
The Asian Studies BA can be completed over four years of full-time studies. Depending on your focus, courses offered in this program may include the following.
- Asian Diaspora
- Asian Women in Transition
- Chinese and Japanese Literature in Cultural Context
- Geography of East and South Asia
- Introduction to East Asia: China
- Introduction to East Asian: Japan
- Introduction to Islam
Students in their final must satisfy a capstone writing requirement in the Seminar in Asian Studies. Learn more about required courses for the Asian Studies BA.