Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations
The Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations in the Lew Klein College of Media and Communication at Temple University educates students with the knowledge, theory and skills to manage relationships across consumer, corporate, economic, government and media organizations. In our Public Relations bachelor’s degree program, students learn to develop strategies to advise organizations in matters of social responsibility and influencing public opinion. From basic writing skills to drafting strategic campaigns, evaluating legal and ethical considerations to managing technology’s impact on the field, our degree program provides students with the knowledge and skills for public relations (PR) success now and in the future.
Public relations is the strategic use of communication to establish, build and maintain mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their publics. Unlike marketing and advertising, PR uses integrated communication—including publicity, advertising, social media and original storytelling—to uniquely communicate important issues, opportunities, problems and their solutions to targeted audiences. Students in our Public Relations bachelor’s degree program learn to assess situations and determine, create and communicate strategic messages to build beneficial relationships among a wide variety of organizations and their diverse constituents.
In our program, you will learn theories that affect how today’s public relations is practiced and develop the knowledge base and the foundational PR skills of critical thinking, speaking and writing. Our classes will give you access to some of the latest industry-standard communication tools, enabling you to earn certifications and gain the technical skills today’s employers value and need, including data analytics, search engine optimization and social media marketing. Upon mastering those skills, you will
- design, develop and evaluate campaigns;
- learn how to manage client expectations as well as the ethical and legal implications of your work;
- produce campaign materials that rely on original research, promotional materials, and social and traditional media techniques; and
- strengthen your public speaking, team and leadership skills.
As a Public Relations BA graduate, you will be prepared to apply your expertise in entry-level positions in agency, corporate, government and nonprofit spaces. Using data analytics, promotions, relationship building and creative strategic messaging, you will be able to communicate effectively to ethically influence attitudes, behaviors and bring about positive change among key target audiences.
What sets apart our Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations?
- Our renowned, certified program: The Public Relations Society of America certified Temple’s Public Relations program for its academic education. It is one of only 36 programs nationwide and the only one in Pennsylvania. Our degree program was named to the “Education A-list” by PRNews, a leading industry publication. Our program also emphasizes leadership in diversity and inclusion in the industry and society. Students participate in the Bateman Competition—a nationwide collegiate PR contest—giving them an edge in the industry.
- A fast-growing industry: Public Relations is one of the fastest growing industries in the nation. With Temple University’s prime location in Philadelphia, and proximity to New York City and Washington, D.C.—where some of the largest and best-known PR firms are located—Temple students have the opportunity to learn from top professionals in the field.
- Our expert faculty: Our nationally renowned faculty conduct world-class research, not just in PR and communications, but in perceptions of social issues impacting society. They also have industry experience and maintain one foot in the academic world and one foot in the profession. Their industry relationships will help students gain access to companies, organizations and professionals that can get them started in a PR career or on the path to an advanced degree.
- Our award-winning student organizations: Students can join our national award-winning, nationally recognized student organizations. Through our student organizations, you can gain real-world experience in the public relations field and have the opportunity to make personal and professional connections. Some of the related student organizations include Temple’s chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America; our student-run firm, PRowl Public Relations; and our chapter of the Black Public Relations Society.