Master of Science in Biology
In the Master of Science in Biology, you’ll gain broad preparation in major biological research topics through a variety of coursework and advanced seminars. Prepare for a career in scientific research or teaching. You may also take advantage of interdisciplinary options for coursework and research with other Temple University departments including Biochemistry, Computer Science, Engineering and Physics. Faculty from the Biology Department participate in special interdisciplinary programs including the Center for Computational Genetics and Genomics and the Institute for Genomics and Evolutionary Medicine.
In this intensive program, masters students will work closely with College of Science and Technology faculty members to develop a body of research. Faculty members specialize in areas including aquatic and terrestrial ecology, biochemistry, cell biology, and genetics among others. Throughout your studies, choose to focus on specializations and research areas including
- cellular and molecular neuroscience;
- computational biology, focusing on computational evolutionary genomics;
- evolutionary medicine, an interdisciplinary field that examines contemporary human disease within the larger context of evolutionary history;
- genetic epidemiology, an interdisciplinary field that examines the impact of genetic and environmental factors on modern human disease;
- molecular, cellular and developmental biology; and
- population genetics, a sub-field of genetics and evolutionary biology which examines genetic change over time within and between populations.
Classes are held on Temple’s Main Campus in close proximity to the various labs and research support facilities.
Who might be interested?
The Master of Science in Biology is aimed at students who wish to deepen their knowledge of the biological sciences and pursue particular research interests. The degree can help you prepare for a career in the sciences or lay the groundwork for further academic study in a doctoral program. If you are more interested in technical training and careers in industry, you may want to consider the Biotechnology Professional Science Master of Science (PSM).