The following resources are available to help fund your Engineering graduate degree.

Internal Funding

Assistantships and Fellowships

You may apply for three forms of university financial aid as a graduate student. The College of Engineering automatically reviews all qualified full-time applicants for either a teaching or a research assistantship. There is no separate application necessary to be considered for one of these awards.

  1. Teaching Assistantships: Work 20 hours a week in support of the department’s undergraduate programs. You’ll be compensated with a nine-month stipend, a basic health insurance plan and nine credits of tuition remission per term.

  2. Research Assistantships: These are awarded by individual engineering faculty members. Research assistants work up to 20 hours a week and are compensated with a basic health insurance plan, stipend and tuition remission.

  3. Fellowships: These universitywide grants are open to all PhD applicants on a competitive basis. Nominations are submitted by the department or program only; self-nomination is not permitted. Fellows receive nine to 12 months of stipend, health insurance and 12 credits of tuition remission each fall and spring term. Read more about university fellowships.

External Funding: Graduate Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards

Students can apply for external fellowship opportunities that fund supplemental experiences (research, institutes) and graduate studies. Learn more about the numerous external awards and funds available to current graduate students as well as multidisciplinary awards and a list of fellowship databases and other resources for prospective graduate students. For fellowship advising, visit Scholar Development and Fellowships Advising, which includes helpful information on fellowship-related sessions and social groups.

Federal Financial Aid

Investigate aid, scholarship and work-study options, as well as aid information specific to graduate students.

Federal Stafford Loans

Applying for Federal Stafford Loans requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). At Temple University, unsubsidized Stafford Loans up to a maximum amount of $20,500 annually are available to full-time graduate students.

Federal Work Study

Eligibility for the Federal Work-Study Program is based on applicant need as determined by the information on the applicant’s FAFSA. Students must also be enrolled at least half time and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Contact Student Financial Services at or 215-204-2244 to get consultation about your particular situation.

Health Insurance

Full-time graduate students who are academic interns, graduate externs, research assistants and teaching assistants all earn health insurance benefits. Fellowship recipients have similar options for benefits. Learn more about insurance options at Temple.

Aid for International Students

Learn more about specific information on financial aid for international students, including loan programs, scholarships and a list of organizations that provide financial assistance.