Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education: English Education
Earn the Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education: English Education and open students’ eyes to a world of written metaphor and meaning—and the skills it takes to create them. You will master effective classroom management and instructional techniques, as well as the English and American literary canons.
Within the College of Liberal Arts, you’ll complete coursework in literary criticism, literature or linguistics, and then cap your English studies with a writing-intensive, senior-level project. In the College of Education, you’ll learn to
- address literacy deficiencies without shortchanging subject content time;
- apply literacy instructional methods for English language learners;
- create classroom settings that accommodate special education needs; and
- identify special education needs and develop productive interventions.
Your education coursework is augmented with multiple fieldwork assignments. The program culminates in an academic year-long practicum, during which you will instruct a class at an area high school supported by a cooperating teacher and Temple faculty. Your degree is awarded by the College of Education.
This program is designed to prepare you to successfully complete the teacher certification exams administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Passing scores are required before you can be licensed to teach in the state of Pennsylvania. Visit the Certification Office to learn more about the teacher certification process.
Tracks & Concentrations
Unlike many degree programs in other colleges, tracks and concentrations in the College of Education for Secondary Education exist as separate degree programs. These programs include the
- Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education: Mathematics,
- Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education: Science,
- Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education: Social Studies, and
- Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education: World Languages.
Related Graduate Degrees
A graduate degree in Education gives you maximum flexibility and professional advancement prospects. Temple offers a number of graduate degree programs in the College of Education, including a
- Education/Literacy and Learners PhD,
- Secondary Education and Special Education/English Education MEd,
- Secondary Education/English Education MEd and
- Accomplished Teaching MSEd.
Temple also offers a number of graduate-level certificate programs, including
- College Access and Success,
- Diversity Leadership,
- English as a Second Language,
- English Language Teaching, and
- Urban Education.
Review the full list of graduate degree and graduate certificate programs in Education.