Doctoral & Master’s Awards & Scholarships

Graduate students in the Boyer College of Music and Dance may apply for graduate assistantships, fellowships, performance grants and tuition scholarships. Unless otherwise noted, awards are open to both master’s and doctoral students. All awards are highly competitive and based on a record of academic and artistic excellence.

For more information, contact Edward Flanagan, associate dean of Boyer College of Music and Dance, at 215-204-8301 or

Music Assistantships

Awards are open to full-time graduate students only. Based largely upon the quality of the student’s undergraduate record and experience, these awards include full or partial tuition remission, a cash stipend per year, and health insurance. Recipients teach or render comparable service to the school.

Assistantships are available in the following areas.

  • Aural theory
  • Choral conducting
  • Computer music synthesis
  • Marching band
  • Music education
  • Music history
  • Music therapy
  • Opera
  • Performance (Keyboard, instrumental and voice)
  • Piano accompanying

Performance Grants

Performance grants provide approximately $600 to $1,000 in tuition remission each semester. Awards are based upon an audition for the various performing groups.

Graduate Fellowships

Fellowships are available through Temple’s graduate school for students with exceptional academic records. They include

  • Presidential fellowships, which are reserved for only the most outstanding candidates; and
  • university fellowships, which are intended to support students who demonstrate outstanding potential for success in their chosen fields.

These fellowships provide a stipend plus tuition for two years. Learn more about fellowship opportunities for graduate students.

Fellowship Advising

Find information regarding fellowships on the Scholar Development and Fellowships Advising page including resources for preparing a competitive application.

If you are considering applying for a graduate fellowship, schedule an appointment to meet with the fellowships advisor.

University Awards, Fellowships & Scholarships

For the Doctoral Dissertation Completion Grant, departments nominate doctoral students who have completed all requirements for the degree, except the required dissertation, and are advanced to candidacy. The Doctoral Dissertation Completion Grant includes a stipend and one credit of tuition remission. The award is for five months.

The First Summers Research Initiative is a competition for summer research awards for domestic doctoral students who are traditionally underrepresented in their field of study. Students can apply for the awards, valued at $6,000, each summer until they achieve candidacy, although preference is given to first-time applicants.

The Jay Novik Endowed Graduate Fellowship was established in 2016 to attract talented doctoral students to the College of Science and Technology.

The Phi Delta Gamma Scholarship Fund award goes to a graduate student who demonstrates outstanding scholarship and evidence of community service.

External Funding: Graduate Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards

Certain organizations outside of Temple University provide grants, fellowships, scholarships and other awards for graduate students. Learn more about the numerous external awards and funds available to graduate students.

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Stafford Loans

Applying for federal Stafford loans requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). At Temple University, unsubsidized Stafford loans are available to full-time graduate students up to a maximum amount of $20,500 annually.

Federal Work-study

Eligibility for the Federal Work-study Program is based on the applicant’s need as determined by the information on the applicant’s FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled at least half time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students are paid biweekly for hours worked.

Learn about aid, scholarship and work-study options at Student Financial Services and find information on costs, aid and more for graduate students.