Online Master of Social Work
The Online MSW is perfect for working professionals and students returning to the classroom while balancing work and family. Classes are taught by the same expert faculty as in our on-campus classes. With 15 to 20 students in most courses, the online program features a low student-to-faculty ratio and substantial face time with classmates and professors. Online students become an integral part of the Temple Social Work community and participate in high-quality field experiences, just as students in the traditional program do.
Professors make themselves available to students outside of class hours, both online and in person. Our faculty’s strong ties to the community bring real-world issues and agencies into the virtual classroom. Online students also have access to Temple’s libraries, writing center, career center, and other resources.
Online MSW students have the option of completing the MSW-MPH dual degree option entirely online.
You can complete the Online MSW part-time in three to four years. The online program offers a carefully constructed social work education in the following formats:
- Live streaming course delivery that links students to Temple’s premier faculty, including web conference-based live class discussions, chat rooms and video meetings
- Asynchronous online learning through discussion boards and other assignments that students can complete on their own time
- A local fieldwork practicum in your own community, driven by your interests and guided by Temple’s expert fieldwork advisors
Students reserve one evening a week for live classes. Academic advising, group meetings and fieldwork sessions throughout the program will be scheduled throughout the program.
The following touch points are required of Online MSW students:
- Orientation (offered online): A two-week, self-paced experience that introduces you to Temple, social work and the technology you’ll be using takes place the two weeks prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
- Residency: A three-day residency in Philadelphia that is held between the first and second years of the program and focuses on intensive coursework related to practice, research and field internship.
See a full list of technology requirements to prepare for the Online MSW program, including the necessary up-to-date software and hardware.
Temple has relationships with tech-based vendors, so check in to see what discounts are available.
Temple University is able to offer this online program through its participation in SARA, the state Authorization Reciprocity Agreement. Please contact us with questions or concerns related to out-of-state enrollment, field placement or social work professional licensure. Learn more about state-by-state licensing requirements.