Mathematics and Computer Science Major
Develop problem-solving and analytical skills and expand your career options with the Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Computer Science at Temple’s College of Science and Technology. This 123-credit hour, interdisciplinary undergraduate degree explores computer science and the associated mathematical theories and computations.
The Mathematics and Computer Science BS is ideal for students seeking a solid foundation in applications, information science and mathematics. You’ll study a blend of computer science, mathematics and science courses that leverage the foundational concepts of each discipline to emphasize their connections. In this program, you have the opportunity to explore
- analysis of algorithms and data structures;
- core concepts of computing, including artificial intelligence, hardware design, networks and operating systems;
- algebraic and numeric computations; and
- program design and language problem solving.
With these concepts and skills, you’ll graduate prepared to enter a variety of science and technology industries. Graduates of the Mathematics and Computer Science program have found positions in fields such as actuarial science, business, computing, engineering, medicine and statistics. This degree can also serve as a foundation for advanced degrees in computer science or computational mathematics.
Classes & Curriculum
In addition to the core requirements of mathematics and computer science, you'll be able to take courses in disciplines such as physics and chemistry. Courses in your third and fourth years delve into subjects including mathematical discovery through problem-solving and probability theory.
Related Graduate Degrees
- Computational Data Science MS
- Computer Science MS
- Cyber Defense and Information Assurance PSM
- High-Performance Computing for Scientific Applications PSM
- Information Science and Technology MS
- Mathematics MS
- Mathematics PhD