Mathematics and Computer Science with Teaching Major
The Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Computer Science with Teaching in the College of Science and Technology at Temple University prepares you to take the Pennsylvania Praxis exam for secondary school STEM education. You’ll work toward teaching mathematics or computer science in this undergraduate, 124-credit-hour program offered through Temple TUteach.
Mathematics and Computer Science with Teaching
The Mathematics and Computer Science with Teaching BS curriculum is especially designed for science and mathematics majors, with extensive opportunities for experience teaching in Philadelphia School District classrooms. The blend of College of Science and Technology and College of Education classes provides highly focused coursework to develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You'll also learn to
- develop and deliver inquiry-based lesson plans;
- grow your teaching skills under the guidance of School District of Philadelphia teachers;
- prepare mathematics and computer science lessons for practice in Philadelphia schools;
- respond effectively to students with varying learning styles; and
- use state-of-the-art technology in designing science and mathematics lessons.
In particular, the curriculum focuses on teaching awareness of equity and diversity issues as they relate to classroom learning.