As a graduate student, you may apply for university funding, external scholarships and federal financial aid options to help fund your degree.

University Scholarships

The Phi Delta Gamma Scholarship Fund award goes to a graduate student who demonstrates outstanding scholarship and evidence of community service.

The Terminal Master's Project Completion Grant carries a stipend and one credit of tuition remission. Departments nominate students who have completed all requirements for their degrees, except the required project. The award is for five months.

Graduate Assistantships

Students pursuing the Geology MS degree are supported by a combination of teaching and research assistantships, which typically provide a nine-month academic-year stipend and full tuition remission. Summer stipends are also available.

  • Research Assistantships are awarded competitively. Research assistants work up to 20 hours a week and are compensated with a stipend and tuition remission. The duties for research assistants are determined by a student’s primary research advisor.
  • Teaching Assistantships typically require you to work 20 hours a week in support of the Earth and Environmental Science Department’s undergraduate programs. Teaching assistants also teach introductory labs for nonscience and geology majors. You’ll be compensated with nine credits of tuition remission per term and a nine-month stipend.

External Funding

Certain organizations outside of Temple University provide grants, fellowships, scholarships and other awards for graduate students. Learn more about the numerous external awards and funds available to graduate students.

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Stafford Loans

Applying for federal Stafford loans requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). At Temple University, unsubsidized Stafford loans are available to full-time graduate students up to a maximum amount of $20,500 annually.

Federal Work-Study

Eligibility for the Federal Work-Study Program is based on the applicant’s need as determined by the information on the applicant's FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled at least half time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students are paid biweekly for hours worked.

Learn aid, scholarship and work-study options at Student Financial Services, as well as aid information specific to graduate students.

International Student Financial Aid

Learn more about specific information on financial aid for international students (PDF), including a list of organizations that provide financial aid, loan programs and scholarships.

Contact Student Financial Services at or 215-204-2244 to learn more about your particular situation.