Doctoral & Master’s Awards & Scholarships

Graduate students in the Boyer College of Music and Dance may apply for graduate assistantships, fellowships, performance grants and tuition scholarships. Unless otherwise noted, awards are open to both master’s and doctoral students. All awards are highly competitive and based on a record of academic and artistic excellence.

For more information, contact Edward Flanagan, associate dean of Boyer College of Music and Dance, at 215-204-8301 or

Dance Assistantships

Awards are open to full-time graduate students only. Based largely upon the quality of the student's undergraduate record and experience, these awards include full or partial tuition remission, a cash stipend per year, and health insurance. Partial awards of the full amount are also awarded. Recipients teach or render comparable service to the school.

All graduate applicants to the Dance Department may apply for a graduate assistantship by selecting the appropriate box on their supplemental dance program application form. Qualified applicants who meet the application deadline will be invited for a teaching audition, which involves teaching a class for Dance majors or general education students on Monday or Tuesday following the general audition/interview day. Applicants will be contacted after their audition/interview if they are being invited to audition for a teaching assistantship.

Performance Grants

Performance grants provide approximately $600 to $1,000 in tuition remission each semester. Awards are based upon an audition for the various performing groups.

Graduate Fellowships

Fellowships are available through Temple’s graduate school for students with exceptional academic records. They include

  • Presidential fellowships, which are reserved for only the most outstanding candidates; and
  • university fellowships, which are intended to support students who demonstrate outstanding potential for success in their chosen fields.

These fellowships provide a stipend plus tuition for two years. Learn more about fellowship opportunities for graduate students.

Fellowship Advising

Find information regarding fellowships on the Scholar Development and Fellowships Advising page including resources for preparing a competitive application.

If you are considering applying for a graduate fellowship, schedule an appointment to meet with the fellowships advisor.

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Stafford Loans

Applying for federal Stafford loans requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). At Temple University, unsubsidized Stafford loans are available to full-time graduate students up to a maximum amount of $20,500 annually.

Federal Work-study

Eligibility for the Federal Work-study Program is based on the applicant’s need as determined by the information on the applicant’s FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled at least half time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students are paid biweekly for hours worked.

Learn about aid, scholarship and work-study options at Student Financial Services and find information on costs, aid and more for graduate students.