Bachelor of Science
Summary of Requirements for the Degree
- University Requirements (123 total s.h.)
- MATH 0701 (4 s.h.) and/or ENG 0701 (4 s.h.), if required by placement testing.
- All Temple students must take a minimum of two writing-intensive courses at Temple as part of their major. Following is a list of courses that can be used to satisfy the writing-intensive requirement:
Course List Code Title Credit Hours MATH 3096 Introduction to Modern Algebra 3 or MATH 3098 Modern Algebra MATH 4096 Senior Problem Solving 3
- Students must complete the General Education (GenEd) requirements.
- See the General Education section of the Undergraduate Bulletin for the GenEd curriculum.
- Students who complete CST majors typically receive a waiver for 2 Science & Technology (GS) and 1 Quantitative Literacy (GQ) GenEd courses.
- Students must satisfy general Temple University residency requirements.
- 90 credits within the College of Science & Technology (CST) or the College of Liberal Arts (CLA).
- 45 Upper-Level (2000+) credits within the College of Science & Technology (CST) or the College of Liberal Arts (CLA).
- First Year Seminar Requirement: All students in the College of Science & Technology (CST) are required to take a 1 credit first year seminar course, SCTC 1001 CST First Year Seminar. Other courses that fulfill this requirement may be found on the CST College Requirements page. Only one course in this category may count towards graduation.
Major Requirements for Bachelor of Science (65-67 s.h.)
At least 9 courses required for the major must be completed at Temple. At least 8 Math courses must be completed at Temple.
Course List Code Title Credit Hours Computer Programming course Select one of the following: 3-4CIS 1053 Programming in MatlabCIS 1057 Computer Programming in CMATH 1033
& PHYS 2511
Computing in MATLAB
and Scientific Computing I
Mathematics courses MATH 1041 Calculus I 4 or MATH 1941 Honors Calculus I MATH 1042 Calculus II 4 or MATH 1942 Honors Calculus II MATH 2043 Calculus III 4 or MATH 2943 Honors Calculus III MATH 2103 Linear Algebra with Computer Lab (F) 4 MATH 2111 Basic Concepts of Math 3 MATH 3031 Probability Theory I 3 MATH 3043 Numerical Analysis I (F) 4 MATH 3044 Numerical Analysis II (S) 3 MATH 3046 Differential Equations with Computer Lab (S) 4 MATH 3096 Introduction to Modern Algebra 3 or MATH 3098 Modern Algebra MATH 3141 Advanced Calculus I (F) 3 MATH 3142 Advanced Calculus II (S) 3 MATH 4043 Applied Mathematics (F) 3 MATH 4051 Complex Analysis (F) 3 MATH 4096 Senior Problem Solving 3 Mathematics elective at the 3000+ level or above 1 3-4 Physics courses Select one of the following: 4PHYS 1061 Elementary Classical Physics IPHYS 1961 Honors Elementary Classical Physics I (F)PHYS 2021 General Physics IPHYS 2921 Honors General Physics I (F) Select one of the following: 4PHYS 1062 Elementary Classical Physics IIPHYS 1962 Honors Elementary Classical Physics II (S)PHYS 2022 General Physics IIPHYS 2922 Honors General Physics II (S) Total Credit Hours 65-67 Course List Code Title Credit Hours (F) - Fall only course (S) - Spring only course 1
Must be approved by Mathematics faculty advisor.
Calculation of Major GPA
Courses listed under the major requirements for the degree will be included in the calculation of the major GPA. Courses that could not apply toward the major as an elective or required course would not be counted in the calculation of the major GPA. This would include MATH 1022, for example.
Distinction in Major
To graduate with Distinction in Applied Mathematics a student should meet the following requirements:
- All requirements for the degree in Applied Mathematics must be met with a GPA of at least 3.50 in the Mathematics courses.
- At the time of graduation, the student's overall GPA, including all college-level courses, must be at least 3.25.
- Students must complete MATH 3098 instead of MATH 3096 in order to qualify for a Distinction in Major.
- A student must have a GPA of 3.50 or higher in MATH 3141, MATH 3142, MATH 3098, MATH 4051 and any additional courses from the following list:
Course List Code Title Credit Hours MATH 3043 Numerical Analysis I 4 MATH 3044 Numerical Analysis II 3 MATH 3101 Topics in Modern Algebra 3 Any 4000-level course other than individual study