Awards, Fellowships & Scholarships

As a graduate student you may apply for university funding, external scholarships and federal financial aid options to help fund your degree.

Chemistry Department Awards

The Dean’s Award for Outstanding Teaching Assistant is awarded to a College of Science and Technology graduate student who demonstrates exemplary teaching, as well as making significant contributions to the field of STEM education through outreach and mentoring.

The Guy F. Allen Memorial Award was established by Mary Ellen Allen to commemorate her husband's commitment to graduate student participation in the education of undergraduate students. This fund awards Teaching Assistants in Chemistry for their excellence in teaching on an annual basis.

The Outstanding Research Awards in Chemistry recognize College of Science and Technology graduate Chemistry students who demonstrate excellence in research.

Select graduate Chemistry students who excel as teaching assistants receive Outstanding Teaching Assistant Awards in Chemistry.

Fellowships & Funds

The Daniel Swern Fellowship was established as a memorial to Professor Daniel Swern, a distinguished member of the Fels Research Institute and the Department of Chemistry. The fellowship was designed to support outstanding graduate students as they pursue their dissertation research.

The Francis H. Case Fellowship Fund commemorates Dr. Francis Case, who was a professor of Organic Chemistry for 61 years at Temple University. Please contact the Chemistry Department for more information on this award.

Learn about external fellowship support for chemistry students.

University Awards, Fellowships & Scholarships

For the Doctoral Dissertation Completion Grant, departments nominate doctoral students who have completed all requirements for the degree, except the required dissertation, and are advanced to candidacy. The Doctoral Dissertation Completion Grant includes a stipend and one credit of tuition remission. The award is for five months.

The First Summers Research Initiative is a competition for summer research awards for domestic doctoral students who are traditionally underrepresented in their field of study. Students can apply for the awards, valued at $6,000, each summer until they achieve candidacy, although preference is given to first-time applicants.

The Jay Novik Endowed Graduate Fellowship was established in 2016 to attract talented doctoral students to the College of Science and Technology.

The Phi Delta Gamma Scholarship Fund award goes to a graduate student who demonstrates outstanding scholarship and evidence of community service.

External Funding: Graduate Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards

Certain organizations outside of Temple University provide grants, fellowships, scholarships and other awards for graduate students. Learn more about the numerous external awards and funds available to graduate students.

Research and Teaching Assistantships 

As a graduate student, you may apply for a research or teaching assistantship.

  • Research assistantships are awarded competitively. Research assistants work up to 20 hours a week and are compensated with a basic health insurance plan, a stipend and tuition remission.
  • Teaching assistantships typically require you to work 20 hours a week in support of the department’s undergraduate programs. You’ll be compensated with a basic health insurance plan, nine credits of tuition remission per term and a nine-month stipend.

Learn more about graduate teaching or research assistants at the university

Graduate Fellowships

Fellowships are available through Temple’s graduate school for students with exceptional academic records. They include

  • Presidential fellowships, which are reserved for only the most outstanding candidates; and
  • university fellowships, which are intended to support students who demonstrate outstanding potential for success in their chosen fields.

These fellowships provide a stipend plus tuition for two years. Learn more about fellowship opportunities for graduate students.

Fellowship Advising

Find information regarding fellowships on the Scholar Development and Fellowships Advising page including resources for preparing a competitive application.

If you are considering applying for a graduate fellowship, schedule an appointment to meet with the fellowships advisor.

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Stafford Loans

Applying for federal Stafford loans requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). At Temple University, unsubsidized Stafford loans are available to full-time graduate students up to a maximum amount of $20,500 annually.

Federal Work-study

Eligibility for the Federal Work-study Program is based on the applicant’s need as determined by the information on the applicant’s FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled at least half time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students are paid biweekly for hours worked.

Learn about aid, scholarship and work-study options at Student Financial Services and find information on costs, aid and more for graduate students.

International Student Financial Aid

Learn more about specific information on financial aid for international students (PDF), including a list of organizations that provide financial aid, loan programs and scholarships.

Contact Student Financial Services at or 215-204-2244 to learn more about your particular situation.