Bachelor of Science
Summary of Requirements for the Degree
- University Requirements (123 total s.h.)
- MATH 0701 (4 s.h.) and/or ENG 0701 (4 s.h.), if required by placement testing.
- All Temple students must take a minimum of two writing-intensive courses at Temple as part of their major. Following is a list of courses that can be used to satisfy the writing-intensive requirement:
Course List Code Title Credit Hours BIOL 2296 Genetics (S) 4 BIOL 3096 Cell Structure and Function (F) 4 BIOL 3396 Scientific Writing for Biology: The Art of Communicating 3 CHEM 4196 Techniques of Chemical Measurement II 5 CHEM 3397
& CHEM 3398
Physical Chemistry Laboratory I
and Physical Chemistry Laboratory II
4 MATH 3098 Modern Algebra (F) 3 MATH 4096 Senior Problem Solving 3 PHYS 2796 Introduction to Modern Physics (S) 4 PHYS 4796 Experimental Physics 3
- Students must complete the General Education (GenEd) requirements.
- See the General Education section of the Undergraduate Bulletin for the GenEd curriculum.
- Students who complete CST majors typically receive a waiver for 2 Science & Technology (GS) and 1 Quantitative Literacy (GQ) GenEd courses.
- Students must satisfy general Temple University residency requirements.
- 45 Upper Level (2000+) credits within the College of Science & Technology (CST) or the College of Liberal Arts (CLA).
- 90 credits within the College of Science & Technology (CST) or the College of Liberal Arts (CLA).
- First Year Seminar Requirement: All students in the College of Science & Technology (CST) are required to take a 1 credit first year seminar course, SCTC 1001 CST First Year Seminar. Other courses that fulfill this requirement may be found on the CST College Requirements page. Only one course in this category may count towards graduation.
Major Requirements for Bachelor of Science (75-79 s.h.)
At least 10 courses required for the major must be completed at Temple. At least 3 Biology and 4 Physics courses must be completed at Temple.
Course List Code Title Credit Hours Biology 1 BIOL 2112 Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Biology 4 or BIOL 2912 Honors Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Biology BIOL 2296 Genetics (S) 4 BIOL 3096 Cell Structure and Function (F) 4 Physics Select one of the following: 4PHYS 1061 Elementary Classical Physics IPHYS 1961 Honors Elementary Classical Physics I (F)PHYS 2021 General Physics IPHYS 2921 Honors General Physics I (F) Select one of the following: 4PHYS 1062 Elementary Classical Physics IIPHYS 1962 Honors Elementary Classical Physics II (S)PHYS 2022 General Physics IIPHYS 2922 Honors General Physics II (S) PHYS 2502 Mathematical Physics (S) 4 PHYS 2796 Introduction to Modern Physics (S) 4 PHYS 3301 Electricity and Magnetism (F) 4 PHYS 4101 Thermal Physics (F) 3 Chemistry Select one of the following: 1 4CHEM 1031
& CHEM 1033
General Chemistry I
and General Chemistry Laboratory ICHEM 1951
& CHEM 1953
Honors General Chemical Science I
and Honors Chemical Science Laboratory I (F)
Select one of the following: 1 4CHEM 1032
& CHEM 1034
General Chemistry II
and General Chemistry Laboratory IICHEM 1952
& CHEM 1954
Honors General Chemical Science II
and Honors Chemical Science Laboratory II (S)
Select one of the following: 4CHEM 2201
& CHEM 2203
Organic Chemistry I
and Organic Chemistry Laboratory ICHEM 2211
& CHEM 2213
Organic Chemistry for Majors I
and Organic Majors Laboratory I (F)CHEM 2921
& CHEM 2923
Organic Chemistry for Honors I
and Organic Honors Laboratory I (F)
Select one of the following: 4CHEM 2202
& CHEM 2204
Organic Chemistry II
and Organic Chemistry Laboratory IICHEM 2212
& CHEM 2214
Organic Chemistry for Majors II
and Organic Majors Laboratory II (S)CHEM 2922
& CHEM 2924
Organic Chemistry for Honors II
and Organic Honors Laboratory II (S)
Mathematics MATH 1041 Calculus I 4 or MATH 1941 Honors Calculus I MATH 1042 Calculus II 4 or MATH 1942 Honors Calculus II MATH 2043 Calculus III 4 or MATH 2943 Honors Calculus III Biophysics Electives Four 2000+ Biophysics Electives chosen in consultation with the Physics faculty advisor. At least two of the electives must be Physics courses. 12-16 Total Credit Hours 75-79 Course List Code Title Credit Hours (F) - Fall only course (S) - Spring only course 1
A grade of C or higher in CHEM 1031 and CHEM 1032 is required to take BIOL 2112. A grade of C or higher in BIOL 1111 and BIOL 2112 is required to take upper-level Biology courses, and a C- or higher is required unless otherwise specified in all other courses for the major, including course prerequisites.
Note: Most research and Independent Study courses are not available for major credit, such as:
Course List Code Title Credit Hours BIOL 2082 Independent Research I 1 to 4 BIOL 3082 Independent Research II 1 to 4 BIOL 3091 Research Methods 3 BIOL 3681 Cooperative Studies 2 to 4 BIOL 3685 Externship Studies 3 BIOL 4291 Extradepartmental Research 1 to 4 BIOL 4483 Accelerated Research in Biochemistry 3 BIOL 4491 Research in Biochemistry 3 BIOL 4591 Research in Neuroscience 1 to 4
Calculation of Major GPA
Courses listed under the major requirements for the degree will be included in the calculation of the major GPA. Courses that could not apply toward the major as an elective or required course would not be counted in the calculation of the major GPA. This would include BIOL 1011, for example.
Distinction in Major
A student who wishes to graduate with Distinction in the Major must complete all courses required for the biophysics major with a GPA of 3.5 or better, and carry out an independent study or undergraduate thesis project. Consult the undergraduate physics advisor for more details.