Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theater
Summary of Requirements for the Degree
The Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Musical Theater may be conferred upon a student by recommendation of the faculty and by satisfactory completion of a minimum of 124 credit hours.
- University Requirements: All students are required to complete the university's General Education (GenEd) curriculum.
- There will be no requirement to take the GenEd Arts course if all of the following courses are completed with a C- or better: THTR 1096 , THTR 1202 and THTR 1231. If the student changes majors before completing all three courses, s/he must complete a GenEd Arts course to satisfy the requirement for General Education.
- All students must take a minimum of two writing-intensive courses. The specific writing-intensive courses required for this major are listed below and identified with the code "WI".
- Students must complete Theater Department foundation courses with a grade of C or better in each course.
- No more than 20 credits of work in the major field may be transferred from another institution. Students must complete at least 16 semester hours in Theater courses at Temple University.
- All Theater majors must take placement tests in English and mathematics. If a student places into ENG 0701 or MATH 0701 or MATH 0702, these courses must be completed prior to taking the General Education requirement for English and Quantitative Literacy.
|THTR 1087||Production Practicum (eight times)||8|
|THTR 1096||Introduction to Theater Process (WI)||3|
|THTR 1202||Fundamentals of Voice and Movement||3|
|THTR 1141||Voice I for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 1142||Voice II for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 1231||Acting I||3|
|THTR 1411||Welcome Backstage||3|
|THTR 2101||Ballet I for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 2121||Ballet II for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 2141||Voice III for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 2231||Speech for the Actor||3|
|THTR 2261||Acting II||3|
|THTR 3001||History of the Theater I||3|
|THTR 3012||American Musical Theater||3|
|THTR 3101||Jazz I for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 3121||Jazz II for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 3131||Advanced Jazz for Musical Theater (twice)||2|
|THTR 3132||Musical Theater Voice & Acting||3|
|THTR 3151||Ballet III for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 3279||Acting III||3|
|THTR 4097||World of the Play (WI)||3|
|THTR 4101||Tap for Musical Theater||1|
|THTR 4121||Musical Theater Dance Techniques||1|
|THTR 4132||Senior Cabaret Workshop||3|
|THTR 4221||Theater as a Profession||3 to 4|
|MUSC 1201||Voice Concentration||2|
|MUSC 1202||Voice Concentration||2|
|MUSC 1407||Piano for Non-Music Majors I||1|
|MUSC 2201||Voice Concentration||2|
|MUSC 2202||Voice Concentration||2|
|MUSC 3201||Voice Concentration||2|
|MUSC 3202||Voice Concentration||2|
|MUSC 3231||Musical Theater Scene Study||2|
|MUSC 3232||Musical Theater Voice & Acting||2|
|MUSC 3300||Choral Ensemble (three times)||3|
|MUSC 4201||Voice Concentration||2|
|MUSC 4202||Voice Concentration||2|
|MUSC 4233||Musical Theater: Dress Rehearsal||2|
|MUST 1701||Music Theory for Non-Music Majors||2|
|MUST 1705||Music Theory for Non-Music Majors II||3|
|MUST 1741||Aural Theory I||2|