Summary of Requirements for the Degree
- University Requirements (124 total s.h.)
- Students must complete all University requirements including those listed below.
- All Temple students must take a minimum of two writing-intensive courses at Temple as part of their major. The specific writing-intensive course options for this major are:
Course List Code Title Credit HoursEES 2096 Climate Change: Oceans To Atmosphere (S)EES 2097 Process Geomorphology (F)EES 4696 Vertebrate Paleontology and Taphonomy (Fall of odd years)MGSE 3796 Differentiated Literacy Instruction in the Disciplines (grades 7-12)
- Students must complete the General Education (GenEd) requirements.
- See the General Education section of the Undergraduate Bulletin for the GenEd curriculum.
- Students who complete TUteach majors receive a waiver for 1 Human Behavior (GB), 2 Science & Technology (GS) and 1 Quantitative Literacy (GQ) GenEd courses.
- Students must satisfy general Temple University residency requirements.
- College Requirements
- 45 Upper Level (2000+) credits within the College of Science & Technology (CST), the College of Liberal Arts (CLA), or the College of Engineering (ENG).
- 90 credits within the College of Science & Technology (CST), the College of Liberal Arts (CLA), or the College of Engineering (ENG).
- All students in the College of Science and Technology are required to take a one credit first year seminar. SCTC 1001 CST First Year Seminar is the appropriate course option for every entering first year CST major. Transfer students should use SCTC 2001 CST Transfer Seminar to fulfill this requirement. Other courses that fulfill this requirement may be found on the CST College Requirements page.
- Major Requirements for Bachelor of Science (88-89 s.h.)1
At least 9 courses required for the major must be completed at Temple. At least 5 EES courses and 3 Education courses must be completed at Temple. Though not required, students are strongly encouraged to increase training and field work experience by enrolling in SCTC 1385, SCTC 2385, or SCTC 2389. Students will also benefit from directed laboratory projects offered through SCTC 3185. These courses are offered every semester.
Course List Code Title Credit Hours Chemistry Select one of the following: 4CHEM 1031
& CHEM 1033
General Chemistry I
and General Chemistry Laboratory ICHEM 1951
& CHEM 1953
Honors General Chemical Science I
and Honors Chemical Science Laboratory I (F)
Earth & Environmental Science EES 2001 Physical Geology 4 EES 2011 Mineralogy I (F) 4 EES 2096 Climate Change: Oceans To Atmosphere (S) 4 EES 3091 Research Methods (S) 3 5 Earth & Environmental Science electives numbered 2002 or above 20 Mathematics MATH 1041 Calculus I 4 or MATH 1941 Honors Calculus I Physics PHYS 1004 Introduction to Astronomy (F) 3 Select one of the following: 4PHYS 1061 Elementary Classical Physics IPHYS 1961 Honors Elementary Classical Physics I (F)PHYS 2021 General Physics IPHYS 2921 Honors General Physics I (F) Science/Math Foundation courses Select two of the following: 7-8BIOL 1111 Introduction to Organismal Biologyor BIOL 1911 Honors Introduction to Organismal BiologyBIOL 2112 Introduction to Cellular and Molecular Biologyor BIOL 2912 Honors Introduction to Cellular and Molecular BiologyCHEM 1032
& CHEM 1034
General Chemistry II
and General Chemistry Laboratory IIor CHEM 1952
& CHEM 1954
Honors General Chemical Science II
and Honors Chemical Science Laboratory IICHEM 2201
& CHEM 2203
Organic Chemistry I
and Organic Chemistry Laboratory Ior CHEM 2921
& CHEM 2923
Organic Chemistry for Honors I
and Organic Honors Laboratory IMATH 1044
Introduction to Probability and Statistics for the Life Sciencesor MATH 1042 Calculus IIor MATH 1942 Honors Calculus IIMATH 2031 Probability and StatisticsPHYS 1062 Elementary Classical Physics IIor PHYS 1962 Honors Elementary Classical Physics IIor PHYS 2022 General Physics IIor PHYS 2922 Honors General Physics II College of Science & Technology SCTC 1013 Elements of Data Science for the Physical and Life Sciences 3 SCTC 1389 Step 1 and 2: Inquiry-Based Lesson Design in Science and Mathematics Modified for English Learners 2 SCTC 3001 History of Science 3 SCTC 3312 Coding STEM Lessons 2 1 Education EDUC 2179 Knowing and Learning in Mathematics and Science 3 EDUC 4388 TUteach Apprentice Teaching 6 EDUC 4802 TUteach Apprentice Teaching Seminar 1 MGSE 2189 Classroom Interactions (S) 3 or SCTC 3485 Science and Mathematics in the Classroom MGSE 3796 Differentiated Literacy Instruction in the Disciplines (grades 7-12) 3 MGSE 4189 Project-Based Instruction (F) 3 or SCTC 4485 Integrating STEM Practice in Diverse Teaching Environments SPED 2231 Introduction to Special Education 3 Total Credit Hours 88-89 Course List Code Title Credit Hours (F) - Fall only course (S) - Spring only course 1
The certification requirements need to meet Pennsylvania Department of Education standards and are subject to change. All students are strongly recommended to check with the TUteach Advisor in the College of Science and Technology, to affirm the requirements that pertain to their specific major. In addition, students should check the Undergraduate Bulletin web site for the most current information about these programs, or the TUteach web site. It is also recommended that all students meet with an advisor before enrolling in classes specific to these majors and leading to certification as a teacher. This is to assure that a candidate's intended program of study will be compatible with the new requirements.
All students are required to complete a minimum of one credit.
Calculation of Major GPA
Courses listed under the major requirements for the degree will be included in the calculation of the major GPA. Courses that could not apply toward the major as an elective or required course would not be counted in the calculation of the major GPA. This would include CHEM 1027, for example.
Distinction in Major
To graduate with a Distinction in Earth & Space Science with Teaching, students must:
Achieve a 3.50 GPA or better for the aggregate of courses required for the major.
Achieve a 3.50 GPA or better in the content area courses required for the major.
Achieve a 3.90 GPA in the following courses:
|SCES 2189||Classroom Interactions||3|
|or SCTC 3485||Science and Mathematics in the Classroom|
|SCES 4189||Project-Based Instruction||3|
|or SCTC 4485||Integrating STEM Practice in Diverse Teaching Environments|
|EDUC 4802||TUteach Apprentice Teaching Seminar||1|
|EDUC 4388||TUteach Apprentice Teaching||6|