These requirements are for students who matriculated in academic year 2023-2024. Students who matriculated prior to fall 2023 should refer to the Archives to view the requirements for their Bulletin year.
Summary of Requirements
The degree of Bachelor of Arts may be conferred upon a student majoring in Communication and Social Influence by the recommendation of the faculty and upon satisfactory completion of a minimum of 124 semester hours of credit with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 overall and in the major.
Students must meet:
- University requirements:
- All students are required to complete the General Education (GenEd) curriculum.
- All students must take a minimum of two writing-intensive courses in their major at Temple University. The specific writing-intensive course options for this major are CSI 2296, CSI 2696, CSI 3296, and CSI 3896.
- Lew Klein College of Media and Communication requirements, including KLN 1001 and KLN 1002.
- Minimum 45 credit hours in Communication and Social Influence.
- Maximum 59 credit hours may be taken in Communication and Social Influence courses.
- A grade of C- or higher must be attained in all required Communication and Social Influence courses.
- No more than 12 semester hours of transfer credits may be applied to Communication and Social Influence requirements.
- No more than 8 credits may be taken in Kinesiology and Dance activities courses.
Communication and Social Influence Requirements
|CSI Core Courses|
|CSI 1111||Introduction to Public Speaking||3|
|or CSI 1911||Honors Introduction to Public Speaking|
|CSI 1112||Introduction to Communication and Social Influence||3|
|CSI 2111||Argumentation and Advocacy||3|
|CSI 2112||Social Influence Inquiry||3|
|Select six courses from the three subject areas of Civic Engagement, Conflict Communication, and Risk Communication.||18|
One course in each of the three subject areas (9 credits)
Three other courses in any subject areas (9 credits)
|Course levels for the six subject area courses should be selected as follows:|
One 1000-level course
Two 2000-level courses 1
Two 3000-level courses 1
One 4000-level course
|Civic Engagement Courses|
|Communication and Civic Engagement|
|The Meaningful Enjoyment of Civic Life|
|Resistance, Protests, and Social Movements (WI)|
|Rhetoric and Civic Culture|
|Communication, Attitudes, and Opinion|
|Conflict Communication Courses|
|Conflict and Communication Behavior|
|Intercultural and Cross Cultural Conflict|
|Social Activism and Community Organizing|
|Conflict and Influence: Identity, Emotion and Power|
|Multiparty Conflict Proceses: Dialogue, Facilitation and Multiparty Mediation|
|Risk Communication Courses|
|Communication and Behavior Change|
|Rhetoric of Hate and Violence|
|Risk Communication (WI)|
|Misperceptions and Misinformation|
|Communicating Science in Today's World|
|At least 1 culture course||3|
|Communication, Culture and Identity|
|At least 1 method course||3|
|Social Science Research Methods of Social Influence|
|Rhetorical Criticism (WI)|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Study Away Internship|
|CSI 4111||Senior Seminar||3|
|Total Credit Hours||45|
If CSI 3896 is selected as the method course, one writing-intensive (WI) course must be selected from among the subject area course choices. If CSI 3896 is not selected, then two WI courses must be selected.