The Center for the Performing and Cinematic Arts at Temple hosts 1,400 annual music and dance concerts, lectures, master classes and recitals. With hundreds of concerts per year, Boyer students have an array of performance opportunities that meet their interests and skill level. Students can participate in instrumental and vocal clubs or ensembles, and some can perform at renowned institutions or record music.
While most ensembles require auditions, many music groups do not.
- The Boyer College Electroacoustic Ensemble Project (BEEP) brings together students who create electroacoustic music in a collaborative environment. BEEP functions as an electronic music band, a fusion of computers and traditional instruments, and a laptop orchestra.
- Night Owls Campus Community Band is a large concert wind band that comprises community members from the Greater Philadelphia area with Temple University students and staff. The ensemble performs one concert at the end of each semester.
- OwlCappella is a coed a cappella group—one of seven student-run a cappella ensembles on campus—that provides a musical outlet for non-Music and Music majors alike.
- Owlchestra Community Orchestra is a community string orchestra composed of students and community members who want to play music together in a low-stress environment.
- Singing Owls is a mixed choir, comprising Temple University alumni, faculty, staff and students as well as members of the Greater Philadelphia community. The ensemble's primary goal is to create a dynamic and inclusive singing community through the appreciation and performance of music from diverse cultures, genres, places and time periods.
- Swinging Owls Campus Jazz Band is a traditional big band made up of community members from Greater Philadelphia as well as Temple students and staff. Membership does not require an audition, but participants should be able to read music and bring their own instruments, either rented or owned.
To participate in most student ensembles, you’ll need to audition. Learn more about choral, instrumental and jazz ensembles.