General InformationAdmissionGeneral GuidelinesFinancial InformationUniversity RegulationsServices & RecordsTemple
 CampusesCourse DescriptionsFacultyHome

Student Responsibilities
Graduate Credit for
Undergraduate Courses
University Withdrawal
Tuition Payment
Grading System
Graduation Application
Full-Time Students
Doctoral Courtesy
Other Policies


The work of graduate students is graded at the end of each semester. For each course either a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, F, or P, or a symbol of IP, R, W, Audit, MG, NR, I, CR, NC, or IC will be entered on the studentís record. (Note: there are no D-, D, D+ grades for graduate courses). A and A- indicate work of superior quality, B+, B, and B- indicate work of satisfactory quality, C+, C, and C- indicate work of marginal quality, and "F" indicates failure.

"P" indicates pass. Individual schools may authorize the use of Pass/Fail only for practica, seminars, and other courses where traditional grading is inappropriate and only where all students are graded on a pass/fail basis. IP denotes an incomplete for the P/F grading option.

"R" indicates that a student has been registered for a thesis, dissertation, or final project that is still in progress. This symbol will remain on the transcript. The last semester of thesis, dissertation, or final project must carry a final grade of A, B, C, F, or P.

"W" indicates that a student has officially withdrawn from a course without grade or penalty. During the regular semester the student wishing to withdraw before the end of the sixth week of classes should consult his or her adviser. After this time, the student may withdraw and receive a "W" only with the additional consent of the instructor. A "W" may not be processed after the conclusion of final examinations. A "W" indicates that the student had a passing grade at the time of withdrawal. An "F" will be posted if the student had a failing grade at the time of withdrawal.

"Audit" indicates that a student has officially attended a course to the end and completed that portion of its work initially agreed upon with the instructor. No student may change status from audit to credit or from credit to audit after the second week of the fall or spring semester or the third day of the first or second summer session.

"MG" may be used by the Office of Academic Records to indicate that no grade is available for a studentís course work. It is temporary and will be changed once a grade is submitted by the instructor.

"NR" is used by instructors to identify those students who were registered in the class but never attended.

"I" indicates that the requirements for a course have not been completed. This notation is allowed only upon the signing, by the instructor and student, of a written contract for the completion of the work. Incompletes must be completed within one calendar year of the end of the semester in which they are given. An "I" may be changed to an "F" upon the expiration of the contract if the required work has not been completed. A graduate student may not graduate with an "I" on her or his transcript. The "I" notation cannot be used for thesis, dissertation, and other research courses. If the instructor does not change the symbol "I" to a grade, the Graduate School will consult the studentís instructor before instructing the Office of Academic Records to change the "I" to a grade of "F."

In the CR/NC system, no grade points are assigned to either grade and such courses cannot be used to meet prerequisite or graduation requirements. CR is equivalent to A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, or C-. NC is equivalent to an F. IC denotes an incomplete for the CR/NC grading option. The purpose of this option is to allow students to broaden their intellectual and cultural horizons without jeopardizing their grade point averages. Students may select the CR/NC grading option for a course during the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters, and during the first three days of the two summer sessions, with the written authorization of their dean.

*See also the section entitled "Standards of Scholarship" in General Guidelines for Degree Program.


Students must apply to graduate in their college Deanís office by the announced deadline date (See the calendar in this Bulletin or contact the Deanís office for deadline dates). Those who do not apply in time must reapply to graduate at the next commencement. Masterís and doctoral degrees are conferred in August, January, and May. There is a $25.00 graduation fee that must be paid to the Office of Cash Operations. Additional fees are associated with the handling and publication of dissertations.


Holders of earned academic doctorates are welcome to attend, without charge, courses in the field in which they majored, or in allied fields, and to use associated academic facilities. Use of the University library, exclusive of borrowing privileges, is also possible.

The following procedure must be followed to attend a course through doctoral courtesy:

  • A written request must be submitted to the Dean of the Graduate School with proof of receipt of the doctorate.
  • Information on the course to be attended must also be submitted, including the name of the course, the section, campus, and the time it meets.

The applicant will be notified in writing if the request is approved. No written or computer record is kept of the studentís participation in a course taken through doctoral courtesy.