Temple University Undergraduate Bulletin
Site Map | Bulletin Home | Temple University

Academic policies

Academic Course Load
Academic Credit
Academic Forgiveness
Academic Residency Requirements
Academic Rights and Responsibilities
Academic Standing
Assessment of Student Learning
Athletic Policies
Code of Conduct
Course Numbering System
Courses Inapplicable to Graduation
Courses Over Ten Years Old
Credit/No Credit Courses
Credit for Prior Learning
Dean's List
Declaration of Major
Disciplinary Action
Double Major Across Colleges
Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)
Final Examinations
Grade Change
Grade Point Average (GPA)
Grades and Grading
Graduation Procedures
Incomplete Coursework
Leave of Absence
Lower Division Student Academic Progress
Matriculated Students
Non-Degree Seeking Students
Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution
Placement Testing
Plagiarism and Academic Cheating
Prerequisites and Co-requisites
Probation and Dismissal
Repeating a Course
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Schedule Revision (Drop/Add)
Second Degrees
Simultaneous Enrollment
Study Abroad Approval for External Programs
Transfer Between Colleges Within the University
Transfer Credit
Undergraduate Credit for Graduate Level Courses
Withdrawal Policies

other useful links

Temple Policies
Course Descriptions
Course Schedule
Admissions Application
Student Life
Archived Bulletins
PDF Version


See the Registration section of the Bulletin.

Repeating a Course

Undergraduate and graduate students may repeat a course to earn a higher grade; only the highest grade earned will be used in calculating the grade point average. Undergraduate and graduate students will not be permitted to repeat a course more than twice.


The term "repeat" is applied when a student retakes a course. Except for courses designated to be taken multiple times, such as independent study, research, or other courses, credit for a given course will be granted only once.

Policy Statement

All students are permitted to repeat a course one time. Students who need to repeat a course a second time must obtain the approval of the dean/designee of their home school or college and be registered with assistance. No students may repeat a course a third time.

If a course was taken previously with a standard grading option, it cannot be repeated with a credit/no credit grading option. Students are responsible for ensuring registration carries the appropriate grading option. All occurrences of a course where a grade is earned, including withdrawals (W) and withdrawals excused (WE), appear on the transcript, but only the highest grade earned is used in calculating the grade point average. Since credits are awarded only once for a course, repeats can affect athletic eligibility, academic standing and financial aid status.

All course withdrawals, with the exception of "withdrawal with approved excuse (WE)" are included in the course repeat count (see policy # 02.10.14 Withdrawal from Classes).

First repeat: Undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to registration to discuss academic and financial implications.

Graduate students seeking to repeat a course are required to meet with an academic advisor to register.

Second repeat: Undergraduate and graduate students must obtain the approval of the dean/designee of their home school or college and be registered with assistance.

If in the allotted number of repeats, students are unable to successfully complete the following university requirements (including their course equivalencies), they will be dismissed from the university:

  • English 0701: Introduction to Academic Discourse
  • English 0802: Analytical Reading and Writing
  • IH 0851: Mosaic: Humanities Seminar I
  • IH 0852: Mosaic: Humanities Seminar II
  • Math 0701: Elementary Algebra

Students unable to successfully complete courses that are required for their majors or school/college requirements in the allotted number of repeats must meet with their academic advisors to discuss alternate graduation plans. Students who have exhausted course attempts for course(s) required for their major will be required to change majors. If the selected new major does not require the course in question, it is possible that the new major may be in the same school or college. Students who have exhausted allowable course attempts in course(s) required for their degree program (school/college requirements) will be required to transfer internally (IUT) within the university from their current school or college to a school or college degree program that does not require the course in question.

Following the awarding of a degree, no changes in the grade point average will be made, even through the repeat process.


1. Dates of official enactment and amendments

Adopted by the president on November 13, 2002. First effective on September 1, 2003.

Amended by the president on February 8, 2011. Effective May 2011 (for Summer Session I)--GPA calculation with highest grade.  Effective March 2012 (for Summer I, II and Fall 2012 registrations)--maximum number of course repeats including their course equivalencies.

2. History

The February 8, 2011 amendment added the limit on the number of repeats.

The May 18, 2012 amendment clarified that students who have exhausted allowable course attempts in courses required for the major or school/college degree requirements may be required to change majors or transfer internally within Temple to another school or college.


This policy supersedes all other policies and procedures related to repeating a course.

3. Cross References

Policy # 02.10.11, Academic Standing (Undergraduate)

Policy # 02.10.14, Withdrawal from Classes (Undergraduate and Graduate Classes)

Policy # 02.10.17, Academic Forgiveness (Undergraduate)

(Policy # 02.10.12)

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress is determined by a number of factors, including a student's semester grade point average, cumulative grade point average, and the number of semester hours attempted and completed. A student's progress is reviewed at the end of each semester by the student's Temple school or college and may affect the student's ability to continue in a program or major and eligibility for financial aid. Students should be advised that course withdrawals and incompletes will affect their progress and thus their academic standing. See Academic Standing and Grade Point Average.

Schedule Revision (Drop/Add)

See Schedule Revision (Drop/Add) in the Registration section of the Bulletin.

Second Degrees

Generally, students having already completed a bachelor's degree experience would be encouraged in the first instance to begin graduate-level academic work in the new discipline. Students who already hold a bachelor's degree, however, may earn a second bachelor's degree in some schools and colleges of Temple University when the second degree sought is in a sufficiently different field of study. Students interested in earning a second degree should consult with the Office of the Dean of the school or college offering the desired degree.

Students at the undergraduate level may not be enrolled in concurrent undergraduate degree programs, but may regularly have second majors, or might consider an approved accelerated or joint program with a Temple graduate or professional school, if they meet admissions qualifications. See the list of accelerated programs and requirements.

Currently, the requirements for students pursuing a second degree are under review.  The revisions, if approved, will minimally require that students complete a minimum of 30 semester hours in residence at Temple beyond those required for the first degree.

Simultaneous Enrollment

Matriculated students at Temple University may not be enrolled simultaneously at another institution in the same semester or summer session and receive permission to transfer those credits to Temple. Certain exceptions are allowed, if permission is given in advance, for courses unavailable at Temple but needed to complete degree requirements for the next scheduled awarding of degrees; or for specialized study where alternatives are not available at Temple; or as part of established programs. Students taking a Temple online course during the summer and living well beyond commuting distance of a Temple campus may also be approved for simultaneous enrollment at another institution. See Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution.


Study Abroad Approval Procedures for External Programs

To receive credit for courses taken on an external study abroad program, students are required to complete Temple's External Program Approval form, which includes seeking permission from an advisor in Education Abroad, having any anticipated courses evaluated and approved by appropriate academic departments, and receiving academic approval from their Temple school/college academic advising office. To explore external program opportunities, or to initiate the approval process, students should contact or visit Education Abroad.

Students should discuss their study abroad plans with their academic advisor. Permission to study abroad is rescinded if the student's GPA falls below 2.5, or the student is placed on academic warning or probation. As with all courses accepted in transfer, only a grade of C- or higher is acceptable.

See Education Abroad in the Academic Opportunities section.


A student's academic history is contained in a transcript, which is maintained by the Office of the University Registrar.

Official transcripts are issued upon the written request of the student, carry the seal of the Office of the University Registrar, and are usually sent directly to another educational institution, a potential employer or other approved third party. The fee for each transcript is $8.25 ($6.00 transcript fee + $2.25 Clearinghouse processing fee). Additional fees apply for expedited processing and shipping.

Official transcripts may also be issued directly to the student but will be identified with information that will indicate to the reader (whether a potential employer or another educational institution) that it was so issued.

A transcript is considered correct and final one calendar year after it is issued. If a student identifies an error, the Office of the University Registrar must be notified in writing within one calendar year.

Transfer Between Colleges Within the University

Intra-University Transfer (IUT) denotes a student's movement from one academic unit within the university to another and/or from one campus to another.

Transfer between academic units is not automatic. If students decide to earn their degrees in an academic unit other than the one in which they are matriculated, they must make application for the transfer and can do so at anytime except the months of January and August.

The Intra-University Transfer form can be picked up at any advising center or dean's office. Students then submit the form to the college to which they wish to transfer. The student will be notified of the decision by the office of the dean of the proposed college.

Students may initiate transfer from one college of the university to another if they are in good academic standing and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. Higher averages are required by a number of schools and colleges, and students should consult the individual school or college policy section of the Bulletin for IUT GPA requirements. In addition to GPA requirements, the Tyler School of Art has portfolio requirements and the Esther Boyer College of Music and Dance has audition requirements.

Transfer Credit

See Admissions: Transfer Credit.

Undergraduate Credit for Graduate Level Courses

Undergraduate students may take 5000-level graduate courses with the permission of the instructor and the dean's designee for undergraduate degree credit. Undergraduates who wish to take higher level graduate courses must have the permission of the dean, the Graduate School and Undergraduate Studies.

Undergraduate students taking graduate level courses for partial fulfillment of undergraduate degree requirements may not use these credits to fulfill graduate-level degree requirements unless formally accepted into an accelerated, undergraduate/graduate/professional program.


Withdrawal Policies

WITHDRAWAL FROM CLASSES  (policy 02.10.14)

During the first two weeks of the fall or spring semester or summer sessions, students may drop one or more courses with no record of the class appearing on the transcript. In weeks three through nine of the fall or spring semester, or during weeks three and four of summer sessions, students may withdraw with the assistance of an academic advisor--or by using the withdrawal function in Self-Service Banner (SSB). The course will be recorded on the transcript with the notation of "W," indicating that the student withdrew. After week nine of the fall or spring semester, or week four of summer sessions, students may not withdraw from courses. Withdrawing from courses during the prescribed period may have serious consequences for academic progress to the degree, for financial aid eligibility, (for international students) visa requirements, and (for student athletes) NCAA eligibility for competition. Students should consult carefully with their instructors and academic advisors before withdrawing from classes. Drop and Withdrawal deadlines are published for each semester and summer session on the following web site: www.temple.edu/registrar/documents/calendars/.


Withdrawal Grades and Transcript Notations
Withdrawal Grade Action Transcript Notation
W Withdrawal from course Displayed on transcript; not included in GPA calculations; counts as a course attempt under the provisions of the course repeat policy.
WE Withdrawal with approved excuse  Approved by student’s Dean’s Office or the Provost's office for excused withdrawals due to medical, catastrophic or other circumstances beyond the student’s control; not counted as a course attempt under the provisions of the Repeat policy; not included in GPA calculations. 
WF Withdrawal with a failing grade This is an historical grade used prior to September 2003; included in GPA calculations with 0.00 points. The WF is no longer a grading option.
WS Withdrawal from the semester This is an historical grade used prior to June 2011; denotes withdrawal from all courses in the term.



A student may withdraw from the semester's courses by notifying the advising office of his/her college. The dean/dean's representative shall determine whether there is legitimate reason for withdrawal with symbol WE (excused approval authorized by the dean) in all courses in which the student is enrolled, consulting with the instructors when necessary and verifying confirming documentation. Course withdrawals ('W') count as course attempts under the provisions of the repeat policy (02.10.12). Excused withdrawals ('WE') do not count.


Complete refund of tuition or cancellation of tuition charges will be made only if the drop form or student's SSB entry is processed by the end of the second week of classes of the fall and spring semesters or summer sessions.

Students withdrawing after these periods are responsible for payment of all charges incurred. No refund or adjustments of charges will be made for withdrawals after the second week unless specified under the university's refund policy. See the bottom of the Tuition and Fees section for the Refund Policy.

© 2012 - , Temple University. All rights reserved. Site created by Computer Services