Temple University Undergraduate Bulletin
Site Map | Bulletin Home | Temple University

Academic policies

Academic Course Load
Academic Credit
Academic Residency Requirements
Academic Rights and Responsibilities
Academic Standing
Academic Warning, Probation, Dismissal and Reinstatement
Assessment of Student Learning
Associate Degree Candidates
Athletic Policies
Code of Conduct
Course Numbering System
Courses Inapplicable to Graduation
Courses Over Ten Years Old
Credit/No Credit Courses
Credit for Prior Learning
Dean's List
Declaration of Major
Disciplinary Action
Double Major Across Colleges
Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)
Final Examinations
Grade Change
Grade Point Average (GPA)
Grades and Grading
Graduation Procedures
Incomplete Coursework
Lower Division Student Academic Progress
Matriculated Students
Non-Matriculated Students
Permission to Take Courses at Another Institution
Placement Testing
Plagiarism and Academic Cheating
Prerequisites and Co-requisites
Probation and Dismissal
Repeating a Course
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Schedule Revision (Drop/Add)
Second Degrees
Study Abroad Approval for Non-Temple Programs
Transfer Between Colleges Within the University
Transfer Credit
Withdrawal Policies

other useful links

Temple Policies
University Core
Course Descriptions
Course Schedule
Admissions Application
Student Life
Archived Bulletins
PDF Version


See the Registration section of the Bulletin.

Repeating a Course

Students may wish to repeat a course in order to earn a higher grade, either to raise their grade point average or to receive a grade required by their major or to meet another requirement, such as achieving the minimum C- required for successful completion of Core Curriculum courses.

The decision to repeat a course for a higher grade must be made in consultation with an advisor. A repeated course must be graded using the same grading system (pass/fail, credit/no credit, or letter grade) as when originally taken.

If an undergraduate student takes a course more than once, (a) all occurrences of the course will appear on the student's transcript, but (b) all grades other than the lowest grade received will be used in calculating the student's grade point average.

Except for courses designed to be taken multiple times, such as independent study, research, or other specified courses, credit for a given course will be granted only once.

This policy will apply only when one or more of the repeated courses is taken after September 1, 2003.

No change in a student's undergraduate grade point average is made after the baccalaureate degree is awarded.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress is determined by a number of factors, including a student's semester grade point average, cumulative grade point average, and the number of semester hours attempted and completed. A student's progress is reviewed at the end of each semester by the student's Temple school or college and may affect the student's ability to continue in a program or major and eligibility for financial aid. Students should be advised that course withdrawals and incompletes will affect their progress and thus their academic standing. See Academic Warning, Probation, Dismissal and Reinstatement and Grade Point Average.

Schedule Revision (Drop/Add)

See Schedule Revision (Drop/Add) in the Registration section of the Bulletin.

Second Degrees

Generally, students having already completed a bachelor's degree experience would be encouraged in the first instance to begin graduate-level academic work in the new discipline. Students who already hold a bachelor's degree, however, may earn a second bachelor's degree in some schools and colleges of Temple University when the second degree sought is in a sufficiently different field of study. Students interested in earning a second degree should consult with the Office of the Dean of the school or college offering the desired degree.

Students at the undergraduate level may not be enrolled in concurrent undergraduate degree programs, but may regularly have second majors, or might consider an approved accelerated or joint program with a Temple graduate or professional school, if they meet admissions qualifications. See the list of accelerated programs and requirements.

For students approved to pursue a second bachelor's degree, schools and colleges may waive up to 9 credits of degree requirements outside the new major for students who already have a bachelor's degree from Temple University or from another college or university and who desire a second degree from Temple. This waiver pertains to requirements not satisfied by credits transferred from other colleges or universities.

Students who hold their first bachelor's degree from Temple are exempted from courses or course categories required of all undergraduates, such as non-major Core Curriculum requirements. However, courses accepted in transfer for a student's first Temple degree may not apply to their second Temple degree.

Study Abroad Approval Procedures for Non-Temple Programs

To receive credit for courses taken on a non-Temple study abroad program during the academic year or summer sessions, matriculated students in good academic standing are required to discuss their study abroad plans with their academic advisor, have the International Programs Office endorse the chosen study abroad program, and seek final written approval from their school or college advising office. Students should obtain the Study Abroad Approval form from their advisor or the International Programs Office, and during the semester prior to study abroad, fill out the form and obtain the appropriate signatures.

Permission to study abroad is rescinded if the student’s GPA falls below 2.0, or the student is placed on academic warning or probation. As with all courses accepted in transfer, only a grade of C- or higher is acceptable; an official transcript must be forwarded to the student’s advising office before the beginning of the following semester. Thirty (30) of the student’s last forty-five (45) credits must be taken at Temple University.

See International Programs and Study Abroad in the Academic Opportunities section.


A student's academic history is contained in a transcript, which is maintained by the Office of the University Registrar.

Official transcripts are issued upon the written request of the student, carry the seal of the Office of the University Registrar, and are usually sent directly to another educational institution, a potential employer or other approved third party. The fee for each transcript is $8.25 ($6.00 transcript fee + $2.25 Clearinghouse processing fee). Additional fees apply for expedited processing and shipping.

Official transcripts may also be issued directly to the student but will be identified with information that will indicate to the reader (whether a potential employer or another educational institution) that it was so issued.

A transcript is considered correct and final one calendar year after it is issued. If a student identifies an error, the Office of the University Registrar must be notified in writing within one calendar year.

Transfer Between Colleges Within the University

Intra-University Transfer (IUT) denotes a student's movement from one academic unit within the university to another and/or from one campus to another.

Transfer between academic units is not automatic. If students decide to earn their degrees in an academic unit other than the one in which they are matriculated, they must make application for the transfer and can do so at anytime except the months of January and August.

The Intra-University Transfer form can be picked up at any advising center or dean's office. Students then submit the form to the college to which they wish to transfer. The student will be notified of the decision of the office of the dean of the proposed college.

Students may initiate transfer from one college of the university to another if they are in good academic standing, holding a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. Higher averages are required by a number of schools and colleges, and students should consult the individual school or college policy section of the Bulletin for IUT GPA requirements. In addition to GPA requirements, the Tyler School of Art has portfolio requirements and the Esther Boyer College of Music and Dance have audition requirements.

Transfer Credit

See Admissions: Transfer Credit.

Withdrawal Policies


During the first two weeks of the fall or spring semester or summer sessions, students may withdraw from a course with no record of the class appearing on the transcript. In weeks three through nine of the fall or spring semester, or during weeks three and four of summer sessions, the student may withdraw with the advisor’s permission. The course will be recorded on the transcript with the instructor’s notation of “W,” indicating that the student withdrew. After week nine of the fall or spring semester, or week four of summer sessions, students may not withdraw from courses.

No student may withdraw from more than five courses during the duration of his/her studies to earn a bachelor’s degree.

A student may not withdraw from the same course more than once.

Exceptions: Students may not withdraw from Mathematics 0015 unless they are withdrawing from the university.

Procedure: Withdrawal from a course is accomplished with a Schedule Revision (Drop/Add) form, processed through a campus registration office.

Notes on the policy:

1. The limitation of each student to five withdrawals does not apply to withdrawals from courses taken before the fall 2003 semester.

2. The prohibition of multiple withdrawals from the same course applies to any course taken in the fall 2003 semester or later, from which the student has withdrawn in any prior semester. This means that as of September 1, 2003, a student cannot withdraw from a course from which he/she withdrew in any prior semester.

3. Withdrawal grades and transcript notations:

Withdrawal Grades and Transcript Notations
Withdrawal Grade Action Transcript Notation
W Withdrawal from course Displayed on transcript; counted toward total of five (5) withdrawals; not included in GPA calculations
WE Withdrawal with approved excuse  Approved and posted by student’s Dean’s Office for withdrawals due to medical, catastrophic or other circumstances beyond the student’s control; not counted toward total of five (5) withdrawals; not included in GPA calculations 
WF Withdrawal with a failing grade This is an historical grade used prior to September 2003; included in GPA calculations with 0.00 points. The WF is no longer a grading option.
WS Withdrawal from the semester Denotes withdrawal from all courses in the term; not counted toward the five (5) withdrawal limit.


A student may withdraw from the university by filing an official withdrawal with the approval of the dean of his/her college. The dean shall determine whether there is legitimate reason for withdrawal with symbols of WS or WE (excused approval authorized by the dean) in all courses in which the student is enrolled, consulting with the instructors when necessary. The student should present the approved official withdrawal form to his/her campus registration office.


Complete refund of tuition or cancellation of tuition charges will be made only if the withdrawal form is processed by the end of the second week of classes of the fall and spring semesters or summer sessions.

Students withdrawing after these periods are responsible for payment of all charges incurred. No refund or adjustments of charges will be made for withdrawals after these periods unless specified under the university’s refund policy. See the bottom of the Tuition and Fees section for the Refund Policy.

, Temple University. All rights reserved. Site created by Computer Services