Temple Logo

Undergraduate Bulletin

Second Degrees

Students may earn second degrees in some schools and colleges of Temple University. Students interested in earning a second degree should consult with the Office of the Dean of the school or college offering the desired degree. 

Schools and colleges may waive up to nine credits of degree requirements outside the second major for students who already have a bachelor's degree from Temple University or from another college or university and who desire a second degree from Temple. This waiver pertains to requirements not satisfied by credits transferred from other colleges or universities. 

Students who hold their first bachelor's degree from Temple are exempted from courses or course categories required of all undergraduates, such as non-major Core curriculum requirements. However, courses accepted in transfer for a student's first Temple degree may not apply to their second Temple degree, depending on the second degree requirements.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations 

Student Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 provides the following rights for students attending Temple University:

  1. The right of a student, with minor limitations, to inspect and review his or her education records.
  2. The right, with certain exceptions, to prevent disclosure to third parties of information from his or her education records.
  3. The right to withhold public disclosure of any or all items of so-called "Directory Information" by written notification to the Office of the Dean of Students. Under current University policy, the term "Directory Information" includes a student's name, street address, email address, confirmation of enrollment status (full-time/part-time), dates of attendance, degree received, awards received (e.g., Dean's List), major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports and weight and height of members of athletic teams. 1
  4. The right to seek the amendment of the content of a student's records on the grounds that the records are inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's privacy or other rights.
  5. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning any alleged failure of Temple University to comply with the requirements of the Act and of the implementation of Department of Education regulations.

The procedures for exercising the above rights are explained more fully in the Temple University Guidelines Pertaining to Confidentiality of Student Records, copies of which are available in the Office of the Dean of Students. Included as an addition to the Guidelines is a list of the types and locations of educational records maintained by the University.

1 Please note that, in June 2000, the University expanded its designation of directory information to include those categories in bold typeface. Please further note that, in compliance with a 1997 federal statute designed to advance military recruiting, Temple may release dates of birth to the military unless the student notifies Temple that he or she wishes this information withheld.


Return to Academic Policies and Regulations List.

Study Abroad Approval Procedures for Non-Temple Programs

To receive credit for courses taken on a non-Temple study abroad program during the academic year or summer sessions, matriculated students in good academic standing are required to discuss their study abroad plans with their academic adviser, have the International Programs office endorse the chosen study abroad program, and seek final written approval from their school or college advising office. Students should obtain the Study Abroad Approval form from their adviser or the International Programs office, and during the semester prior to study abroad, fill out the form and obtain the appropriate signatures. 

Permission to study abroad is rescinded if the studentís GPA falls below 2.0, or the student is placed on academic warning or probation. As with all courses accepted in transfer, only a grade of C- of higher is acceptable; an official transcript must be forwarded to the studentís advising office before the beginning of the following semester. 30 of the studentís last 45 credits must be taken at Temple University.

See International Programs and Study Abroad.


A student's academic history is contained in a transcript, which is maintained by the Office of Student Academic Records. 

Official transcripts are issued upon the written request of the student, carry the seal of the Director of the Office of Academic Records, and are usually sent directly to another educational institution or a potential employer. The fee is $6.00. 

Official transcripts may also be issued directly to the student, but will be identified with information that will indicate to the reader (whether a potential employer or another educational institution) that it was so issued. 

A transcript is considered correct and final one calendar year after it is issued. If a student identifies an error, the Office of Student Academic Records must be notified in writing within one calendar year. See the Office of Student Academic Records webpages for more details. (http://www.temple.edu/registrar/)

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations 

Transfer Between Colleges Within the University

Intra-University Transfer (IUT) denotes a student's movement from one academic unit within the University to another and/or from one campus to another. 

Transfer between academic units is not automatic. If students decide to earn their degrees in an academic unit other than the one in which they are matriculated, they must make application for the transfer and can do so at anytime except the months of January and August. 

The Intra-University Transfer Form can be picked up at any adviser center or dean's office. Students then submit the form to the college to which they wish to transfer. The student will be notified of the decision of the Office of the Dean of the proposed college. 

Students may initiate transfer from one college of the University to another if they are in good academic standing, holding a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0. Higher averages are required by: 

  • Allied Health (2.5-3.0, depending on program) 
  • Tyler School of Art (2.5) 
  • SBM (2.0-2.3, depending on number of credits completed) 
  • Education (2.5) 
  • Engineering (2.5-3.0, depending on program) 
  • Pharmacy (2.75) 
  • Tourism and Hospitality Management (2.3) 
In addition to minimum grade point average requirements for Intra-University Transfer students, the Tyler School of Art has portfolio requirements . The Esther Boyer College of Music and Department of Dance have audition requirements.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations 

Transfer Credit

Temple University accepts all college-level, liberal arts courses beyond the development level. These courses must have been completed with a grade of C- or better, and taken at an accredited institution. 

Whenever possible, credit is allowed for courses completed more than 10 years before the date of admission. See Undergraduate Admissions/Transfer Admissions.

To earn a degree from Temple, students must complete at least 30 hours of the last 45 semester hours as a matriculated student at Temple, fulfill all university requirements, and fulfill all of the degree requirements of the Temple college or school in which they are enrolled, as approved by the dean of that school.

The number of credits that can be transferred into Temple varies with the date of a student's admission to Temple:

  • Students matriculating at Temple before fall 1998: The number of credits that students can transfer from a four-year institution depends on their declared Temple major. The maximum number of semester hours that will be accepted in transfer from a two-year institution or a combination of all two-year institutions attended is 64, whether earned prior to or following credits earned at a four-year institution. 
  • Students matriculating at Temple in fall 1998 and after: The number of credits that students can transfer from another institution (two- and four-year) depends on their declared Temple major. 
The fall 1998 policy may not be applied retroactively to students who matriculated at Temple before that semester.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations 

Tuition Charges

Official enrollment in a course is the result of tuition payment and confirmation. Undergraduate part-time tuition is assessed on a semester hour basis. Most full-time undergraduate students are charged a flat rate for 12-17 semester hours and per credit hour for each credit over 17.


  • Full-time undergraduate students in the College of Allied Health Professions and the Tyler School of Art are charged a flat rate for 12-18 semester hours and per credit hour for each credit over 18. 
  • Full-time undergraduate students in the School of Pharmacy are charged a flat rate for 12-19 semester hours and per credit hour for each credit over 19. 
Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations 

Withdrawal Policies

Withdrawal from a course is accomplished with a Schedule Revision (Drop/Add) Form, processed through a registration office. During the first two weeks of the semester, students may withdraw with no record of the class appearing on their transcripts. During weeks three through six, students may withdraw with an adviser's signature, but the course remains on the transcript with a notation of "W." 

After week six, students may withdraw from classes with appropriate signatures, usually those of the instructor, the adviser, and the Dean's designate. The course will be recorded on the transcript with the instructor's notation of "W," indicating that the student withdrew appropriately and had a passing grade; or a "WF," indicating that the student withdrew with a failing grade. After week twelve, students may not withdraw from courses. See Academic Calendar for 2000-2001.

Exceptions--Students may not withdraw from Mathematics 0015, unless they are withdrawing from the University

A student may withdraw from the University by filing an official withdrawal with the approval of the Dean of his or her college. The Dean shall determine whether there is legitimate reason for withdrawal with grades of W in all courses in which the student is enrolled, consulting with the instructors when necessary. A grade of W is issued for courses in which the student has a passing average and a WF for courses which the student is failing. The student should present the approved official withdrawal form to his/her campus registration office. 

"W" -- indicating that the student withdrew appropriately and with passing grades.
"WF" -- indicating that the student merely discontinued attendance without appropriately withdrawing or was carrying failing grades. 

Complete 100% refund of tuition or cancellation of tuition charges will be made only if the withdrawal form is processed by the end of the second week of classes of the fall and spring semesters, and the third day of summer sessions. 

Students withdrawing after these periods are responsible for payment of all charges incurred. No refund or adjustments of charges will be made for withdrawals after these periods unless specified under the University's refund policy.

Return to the List of Academic Policies and Regulations