Diamond Peer Teachers Program
The application for spring 2021 is now OPEN. The application deadline for spring 2021 courses is October 1, 2020.
The Diamond Peer Teachers Program is a competitive program providing upper division undergraduates at Temple the opportunity to experience the challenges and rewards of college-level teaching, to develop their own pedagogical skills by working closely with their faculty mentors, and to provide supplemental instruction in lower-level and GenEd courses.
- Current full-time undergraduates from all Temple schools and colleges.
- Ordinarily be a declared a major in the field; however, students interested in being a Peer Teacher in subject areas closely related to their major are also selected. Students in any major may peer teach in GenEd.
- Have a cumulative GPA 3.25 at the time of application.
- Have completed at least two years of college-level study by end of the semester in which they are applying.
- Have earned at least an A- in the course for which they are applying to be a Peer Teacher.
- Attendance at the required all-day Peer Teaching Institute held the Friday before the semester begins.
- Have identified a full-time Temple faculty member who has agreed to serve as their faculty mentor and in whose class they will peer teach.
Peer Teachers may apply to work in any first- or second-year course (courses numbered below 3000) in their major or in any GenEd course.
Approximately 40 positions will be available per semester, 15 of which are reserved for GenEd courses.
- Attend the all-day Peer Teaching Institute held the Friday immediately before the beginning of the semester.
- Commit 12-15 hours per week during the semester to:
- Attend the class in which they are a Peer Teacher;
- Provide regularly scheduled tutoring / class contact for students in the class (one-two hours for every hour of class);
- Keep two hours of “office hours” per week to meet individually with students;
- Attend weekly meetings with their Faculty mentor;
- Attend scheduled meetings with other Peer Teachers.
- Submit a mid-term self-assessment.
- Submit a report / self assessment on their experience at the end of the semester.
Stipends and Credit
- Peer Teachers receive a stipend of $2,250 for approx. 15 weeks (including the pre-semester Peer Teaching Institute).
- Peer Teachers are also eligible for tuition remission for the one (1) credit hour Peer Teacher Internship (credit that exceeds 18 s.h.).
Information for faculty mentors can be found here. All applicants should share this information with proposed mentors.
How To Apply
Please use the online application linked below to apply. Applicants will typically be notified within 4 weeks of the application deadline.
If you have questions, please email: DPT@temple.edu
Associate Vice Provost
Assistant Director for Undergraduate Enrichment