Continuing Studies

Continuing Studies students earn college credit without being admitted into a degree program. They take courses for a variety of reasons including working toward undergraduate, graduate, or professional school admissions, professional development, personal enrichment, even taking courses to transfer to other colleges. Like the general Temple population, our students are diverse both in educational background and culture as well as in age, ranging from gifted high school students to retired professionals and everyone in between. Continuing Studies advisors are happy to guide you through the process of enrolling in Temple credit courses on a non-degree basis.

Rising high school seniors, juniors and recent high school graduates, including students who have been admitted to Temple and plan to start in the fall semester, are welcome to take Temple courses through our Office of Continuing Studies. The credits students earn will become part of their academic record.

Courses and Deadlines

We have a special selection of courses available for current high school students and recent high school graduates. If you’d like to take a course from the following menu, please note that there is a May 8 deadline to register for Summer I classes, which begin on May 11, and a June 22 deadline to register for Summer II classes, which begin on June 23.

Click here: Summer I course list

Click here: Summer II course list

However, if you would like to take courses not included in this menu, you must complete your application online before the registration deadlines so we can be sure our instructors and faculty members have the appropriate certification to teach high school students.

  • Summer I: Register by April 13, Classes start May 11
  • Summer II: Register by May 26, Classes start June 23
  • Fall: Register by July 27, Classes start Aug. 24


If you are a recent high school graduate who has been offered admission to Temple, there are no additional requirements needed for you to enroll. Follow the application instructions below.

Current high school students, either rising seniors or juniors, must provide the following information to ensure that enrolling in an university-level course is appropriate based on students’ academic abilities.

  • Your high school GPA should be at least a 3.0 (B average).
  • Your high school record should show As in the subject you plan to take at the college level.
  • Though test scores are not required, if you have taken standardized tests before, your test scores (PSAT, ACT, etc.) should reflect readiness for college-level work. Our staff will help you determine this.
  • You must have support in writing from your high school counselor or teacher in the subject you plan to take at the college level.

Things to Consider in Advance and Cost

  • Discuss your plan to take a Temple course for credit with your high school counselor and your teacher in the subject you plan to study at Temple. It's important to know that taking a college course for credit will result in a permanent college transcript that will impact your eligibility for admission to college, for better or worse.
  • High school students and recent high school graduates* taking courses at Temple pay a reduced rate of $325 per credit. Most courses at Temple are three credits.

    *Please note that the reduced tuition rate for recent high school graduates who plan on attending Temple in the fall only applies to summer courses taken between high school graduation and the fall semester.
  • You must agree to Temple's Financial Responsibility Agreement before taking Temple courses. Financial aid is not available for this program.

How to Apply

If you are a high school graduate who’s been offered admission to Temple and wish to take a Summer I course, check back soon. This page will be updated with more information shortly.

If you are a high school graduate who’s been offered admission to Temple and wish to take a Summer II course, you can register during your New Student Orientation. To sign up for Orientation, be sure to complete the steps listed in your Next Steps channel in TUportal. An advisor will work with you to help determine which of the available summer courses is right for you.

If you are a current high school student, either a rising senior or junior, complete the following steps to register for a Summer I or Summer II course.

  • Find the course you would like to take. Consult the course schedule. (When discussing the possibility of taking college courses with your high school counselor and your teacher, we suggest presenting the course description to them.)
  • Complete the online application, which includes a personal statement.
  • After your online application has been received, you will be prompted by email to upload your high school transcript and any standardized test scores (AP, SAT, etc.) you may have.
  • You will also be prompted to initiate a request for a letter of recommendation from an official at your high school who can speak to your likelihood of success in your requested course.
  • Upon review of your application, our Office of Continuing Studies will contact you by email to invite you and a parent or guardian to schedule an advising appointment.
  • If you plan to take English, math, or a foreign language, you will need to take Temple's placement test. Your advisor will discuss this with you at your appointment.

In Continuing Studies we pride ourselves on assisting students with many different educational goals and backgrounds. We are always glad to speak with anyone interested in furthering their education. For some students, taking classes through Continuing Studies may be the perfect decision. For others we may recommend options such as applying directly to the University or beginning at a community college. If you are not sure what educational path is right for you, please contact us. Below are some University policies that may help guide you in your decision:

  • A student must have a high school diploma or GED in order to take courses through Continuing Studies.
  • Continuing Studies students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.0 (C average) for all prior college level coursework.
  • A student may take a maximum of 30 credits through Continuing Studies prior to applying to the University.
  • Continuing Studies students are limited to part time course work (11 credits or less during a fall or spring semester).
  • If a non-degree student qualifies for financial aid it is generally limited to part time study and to loans only.

If you already have your bachelor's degree you may be able to take graduate-level coursework as a non-degree student. Students interested in taking graduate coursework in either the College of Liberal Arts or College of Science and Technology may register through Continuing Studies, but only after obtaining permission in writing from the department teaching the course. If you are interested in graduate course work in any other school or college you will not register through Continuing Studies, rather you will need to contact the department directly. You may research Temple graduate programs in the Graduate Bulletin. Graduate coursework has the following limitations:

  • A student may take a maximum of 9 credits at the graduate level prior to applying to a Temple graduate program.
  • All graduate departments require non-degree students to obtain permission from the department prior to registering for courses.
  • If you are interested in a graduate course in the College of Liberal Arts or the College of Science and Technology ONLY and you've already received permission to take the course, read more on registration.

If you are currently enrolled in a degree program at another college or university and would like to take courses to transfer back to your home institution, then you are a Visiting Student. It is your responsibility to obtain permission from your home school to make sure the Temple courses you take will count toward your degree.