Student Health Services Logo

Student Health Login


1700 North Broad Street

Main Campus Hours
1700 N. Broad Street, 4th floor
Philadelphia, PA 19121
Phone: (215) 204-7500
Fax: (215) 204-4660

Monday 9:00am-4:00pm
Tuesday 9:00am-4:00pm
Wednesday 10:00am-4:00pm
Thursday 9:00am-4:00pm
Friday 9:00am-4:00pm
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed

Click here for HSC Locations and Hours.



As of Fall 2010, when you enroll at Temple University, you pay a University Services Fee each semester. This fee entitles you to use the services of Student Health Services.

The fee covers most of your routine and acute care visits. There are additional charges for administrative physical exams (such as those for work or drivers' licenses), lab tests, medications, certain procedures, and supplies. There are also charges for gynecology services that are not part of the Title X Family Planning Program.

The University Services Fee is NOT "health insurance." Health insurance covers you for many of the services we do not provide. For example, if you need to go to the emergency room or see a specialist, you would need health insurance. Some insurance plans also have prescription coverage, which covers a portion of your medication costs.

At Student Health we do not charge you a copayment to see a healthcare provider. All of your visits are covered under the fee you pay in your tuition.

If you have point of care testing done such as a rapid strep test, mono test or flu test we run those here in our office and give you the result. We cannot bill health insurance for these tests and there are charges associated with all point of care testing completed by SHS. To view our pricing please visit our web page at: .

If you need laboratory work done you can use your health insurance. Our labs are sent to Quest Diagnostics, Laboratory Corp, Oxford Lab and Temple University Hospital Lab. These laboratories will perform your tests, send Student Health your results and then bill your health insurance. If you have a coinsurance or deductible you will receive a bill directly from the laboratory. If you have questions about your coinsurance or deductible, please call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.

If you need laboratory work done and you are uninsured the physician or nurse that you are seeing will go over the cost of the laboratory work that you may need.

If you need medication and you have prescription coverage your SHS provider will send your prescription to the pharmacy of your choosing. There are two Rite Aids located on Temple's Main Campus and there is also a CVS a few blocks off of Main Campus as well as SunRay Drugs.

If you need a medication and you are uninsured or you do not want to use your health insurance due to confidentiality reasons we have a dispensary in our office that has antibiotics, allergy medication and birth control. Your provider can go over the cost with you in your visit. We also have free packets of over-the-counter medications such as pain relievers, decongestants, cold and allergy medications.

Please note: paying the University Services Fee does not mean you have Health Insurance! For more information about health insurance, please click here.


Your Parents’ Insurance Plan:  Some students are covered under their parents' insurance plan as long as they are full-time students under the age of 26.  You should encourage your parents to keep you on their plan, even if they ask you to contribute to the expense. 

In addition, if you are from out-of-the-area, you should check with your insurance company to see if they would cover medical expenses incurred in the Philadelphia area. 

You should ask for a copy of your insurance card so that you can show it when you go for care.

University-Sponsored Health Insurance Plans:  Temple offers University-sponsored health insurance plans.  Please visit the Human Resources website or call 215-926-2270 for more information. 

If you choose an HMO plan, you can still see Student Health Services (SHS) for routine care.  However, you will also need to choose a non-SHS primary care provider (PCP).  This provider will need to approve any specialist, lab work, or x-ray referrals in order for your insurance to pay the associated costs.

Low Cost Insurance Plans:  If you cannot afford the student insurance offered by Temple University, there are other programs providing low cost insurance coverage to uninsured or unemployed people. 

Some community resources can help you understand what you may be eligible for, including:

Philadelphia Unemployment Project (215) 557-0822
Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (717) 787-1870
Philadelphia Department of Public Health



For questions or comments concerning the website please e-mail:
© 2013 Temple University