General Category Requirements
There are several categories of the J-1 Exchange Visitors program. Temple University has authorization to use five categories. More information about the student category can be found HERE.
All Exchange Visitors involved in Research at Temple Univeristy must be appointed through either the Associate Dean of the Graduate School, the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs , or the College Dean (Faculty only). No application for a form DS-2019 will be accepted without proper authorization. See Information on Temple University Research Categories.
- Research Scholar: An individual primarily conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with a research project at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, post secondary accredited education institutions or similar types of institutions. The Research Scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor. Minimum duration is three weeks, maximum duration is five years. Note that this category of J participation is not the same as the Temple University job title "Visiting Research Scholar". Individuals who will be coming to the U.S. with the TU title must meet all University requirements. Individuals are subject to a "twelve month bar" which means that individual must NOT have been physically present in the U.S. in J status for all or part of the twelve month period immediately preceding the date of the program commencement unless the participant's presents in the U.S. was pursuant to a Short term scholar exchange activity OR s/he is transferring to Temple University from another sponsor's program.
- Professor: An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting as post secondary accredited educational institutions, museums or similar types of institutions. A professor may also conduct research unless disallowed by the sponsor. Individuals who will be coming to the U.S. with the TU title must meet all University requirements. Individual must NOT have been physically present in the U.S. in J status for all or part of the twelve month period immediately preceding the date of the program commencement unless the participant's presents in the U.S. was pursuant to a Short term scholar exchange activity OR s/he is transferring to Temple University from another sponsor's program.
- Short Term Scholar: A professor, research scholar, specialist or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the U.S. on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at research institution, post secondary accredited educational institutions, or similar types of institutions. Examples include educators, scientists, and research fellows. Short term scholars are required to comply with Exchange programs' regulations as they pertain to Health Insurance. There is no minimum duration of participation and there is no "twelve month bar" to participation.
- Specialist: An individual is eligible for the "specialist" category if he or she
- Is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge of skill;
- Seeks to travel to the U.S. for the purpose of observing, consulting or demonstrating his or her special knowledge or skills; and
- Does not fill a permanent or long terms position of employment while in the U.S.
- letters from peers
- copies of journal publications
- other clear documentation that the individual is eligible for this category
A specialist can participate in the Exchange Visitor program for the length of time necessary to complete the program, not to exceed one year.Documentation of their eligibility would include