J-1 Exchange Visitors (Scholars)
Bringing in an individual in J-1 status may take anywhere from 2 to 4 months. Note that ISSS does not determine job titles (paid/unpaid) or salaries.We are the final stage in facilitating the appropriate visa classification once the department has determined these factors.. Appointing a foreign national to a position at TU can be accomplished only if both federal regulations and the University's own policies permit it.
Exchange Visitor (J-1) status is not appropriate for individuals who will:
- Engage in any position that does not require the minimum of a Bachelor’s degree;
- Hold tenure-track or tenured faculty appointments;
- Enter the US to participate in a medical residency program or engage in clinical activities (visit www.ecfmg.org for more info);
- Pass through the formal recruitment and hiring process with Temple University’s HR Dept; Nonimmigrant Worker (H-1B) status is appropriate for such cases;
- Pursue US Permanent Residency (Green Card).
- Professor (3-week minimum, 5-year maximum with 24 month bar on repeat participation – teaching, observing, lecturing)
- Research Scholar (3-week minimum, 5-year maximum with 24 month bar on repeat participation - conducting research, observing, or consulting)
- Short-term Scholar (no minimum, 6-month maximum, NO EXTENSIONS - 6 month bar on repeat participation - lecturing, conducting research, observing, or consulting)
- Specialist (3-week minimum, 1 year maximum but not subject to 24-month bar - observing, consulting, or demonstrating his/her highly specialized knowledge or skills)
Department Must Upload the Following Items to ISD:
- Properly issued and signed invitation/appointment letter *;
- Incidental Patient Contact Letter for Foreign Medical/Health Profession Graduates (if applicable)
- UPS Airway Bill in PDF Format
- Proof of English Proficiency / Template from English-Speaking School
* For Visiting Research Scholar (VRS) and Postdoctoral Fellow appointments, send Nina Campellone in the Graduate School a complete appointment application. Nina will forward the VRS / Postdoc Appointment Letter to ISSS once it is approved. www.temple.edu/grad/pfo/forms.html
J-1 Applicant Must Upload the Following Items to ISD:
- Funding Documentation if Applicant Will Not Be Paid By Temple U;
- Proof of appropriate health insurance (see below);
- Insurance compliance form (if applicable);
- Copy of J-1 Exchange Visitor’s passport photo page;
- Copies of J-2 dependents' passport photo pages;
- Copies of all previously issued immigration documents (issued by the U.S. Government ONLY);
- Recent CV;
- Copies of original diplomas;
- English translations if diplomas are not in English
Health Insurance is Mandatory for J-1 Exchange Visitors and any J-2 Dependents that will accompany J-1 to the United States. Temple University requires proof of insurance which meets the Department of State criteria prior to the issuance of any Form DS-2019. Insurance purchase dates must match dates on invitation / appointment letter. Discuss your J-1 program dates with your Temple University department PRIOR to purchasing insurance. If dependents will arrive after the exchange visitor, insurance may be purchased for them closer to their arrival in the US.
Visiting Research Scholars must purchase full health insurance. Names of suggested insurance companies are available here. If you have insurance coverage from a company not listed on our website, you MUST submit an Insurance Compliance Form to ISSS.
Postdoctoral Fellows and TU-Appointed Faculty ONLY need to purchase medical evacuation and repatriation insurance. Here is a list of some companies that provide this insurance. You may also purchase a policy from a different company of your choice.