The following nonimmigrants are not permitted to change status to F-1 in the United States. You may obtain an I-20, but would be required to depart the U.S. and for an entry visa at a U.S Ebassy or Consulate to obtain F1 status.
- M-1 students
- C, D, K, and S nonimmigrants
- J-1 physicians admitted to receive graduate medical education or training
- J nonimmigrants subject to the 212(e) 2-year foreign residence requirement
- Aliens admitted as visitors under 8 C.F.R. § 212.1(e)
- WT and WB visitors admitted under the Visa Waiver Program