Frequently Asked Questions (Post 65/Medicare Eligible)


Q. What prescription coverage do I currently have?

A. If you have Temple’s retiree health coverage, then your prescription drug coverage is a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan covered by SilverScript, an affiliate of CVS/Caremark. (Prior to January 1, 2012 your coverage was provided through CVS/Caremark.) 

Temple does not bill you for this coverage, and there are no deductibles.  You pay 10% of the cost for generics, 20% of the cost for preferred brand name prescriptions and 30% of the cost for non-preferred brand name drugs.  The plan also offers an option to obtain your prescriptions through mail order.  If you go through mail order, you can get a 3 months supply of drugs for the cost of 2 months, and have the convenience of home delivery.

Q. How do I enroll in the prescription plan?

A. If Temple has a valid Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) on file for you, and a permanent address (not a PO Box), you will automatically be enrolled in the plan and you do not need to do anything at all.  If we do not have a valid HICN for you, and/or if we only have a PO Box for you, you need to contact the Benefits Department to provide the required information.

Q. What is a HICN?


A.  It is usually your social security number with a letter and/or number at the end.  You can find it on your Medicare card.


Q. Why do I have to provide my Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) and permanent address?


A. These are Federal regulations are and required as part of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) enrollment process.

Q. What happens if I don’t want to enroll?


A. If you do not want to enroll in the prescription drug program, you will need to contact SilverScript and elect not to participate in the program.  This means that you will have no prescription drug coverage with Temple University.

Q. Can I also enroll in another Medicare D prescription Plan?

A.  You cannot be enrolled in both the Temple University prescription plan and another Medicare D plan.

Q. What medical coverage do I currently have?

A. If you have Temple’s retiree health coverage and you are eligible for Medicare coverage, you are covered under 65 Special through Independence Blue Cross.


Q. How does my 65 Special medical plan work with Medicare?

A.  Once you are eligible for Medicare, you must enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B in order to be eligible for medical benefits with Temple University.  Medicare processes your claim first (as a primary payor) and then the Blue Cross 65 Special Plan, provided by Temple University, considers the balances on your claim.

Generally, your 65 Special Plan will pay the balance on the claim that Medicare does not pay, after a $100 annual deductible.

Q. I am on Medicare but my spouse is not yet eligible for Medicare.  What benefits does my spouse have?

A.  Assuming you pre-funded for your spouse and your spouse is eligible, your spouse has medical coverage under the Personal Choice PPO plan and prescription drug coverage under the CVS/Caremark plan.  Please refer to the Pre-65 (non-Medicare) Retiree information.

Q. How do I contact the Benefits Department at Temple University?

A. The Benefits Office can be reached at 215-926-2270, or by e-mail at  We are open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5pm.

Q. How do I contact SilverScript about the prescription plan?


A. You can call toll free at 1-877-588-4854.  Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  You can also visit their website at


Q. How do I contact Independence Blue Cross about the 65 Special Plan?

A. You can call 1-800-ASK-BLUE (800-275-2583).  You can also visit the IBC website at 


NOTE:  Temple University reserves the right to amend, modify or change retiree medical insurance at any time


About Us | Site Map | Contact Us | © Temple University