Relocation Assistance

Temple University’s Human Resources Department has contracted with 3 national moving companies to provide employees with relocation assistance at discounted rates.  As a benefit to our faculty and staff any university employee can work directly with these companies to plan for their relocation.

If a hiring manager has offered financial assistance for a move, the designated representative from the school, college, or administrative department must contact the selected moving company to authorize moving expenses.  The Human Resources Department maintains a list of individuals who are authorized to approve relocation.  This list is periodically updated and distributed to the moving companies.  If you have questions regarding an approver for your area please contact the Employment Office or your HR Business Partner.

It is recommended that the amount of relocation assistance offered be no more than 10% of an employee’s annual base salary.  Any amount in excess of 10% for non-faculty employees should be reviewed by the Human Resources Department.

All relocation expenses paid to or behalf of an employee including but not limited to the cost of moving household goods from the former residence to the new residence and the cost of travel from the former residence to the new residence (including lodging during the period of travel), pre-move house hunting expenses, temporary housing fees, and meals is taxable to the employee.

In accordance with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations the university is required to withhold all applicable federal, state, and local tax deductions on these reimbursements and will report all payments made in accordance with federal and state law. Payroll taxes will be withheld on the value of all reimbursements and reported to the Internal Revenue Service as income on the employee’s Form W-2. Additional information regarding the taxability of moving expenses can be found on the IRS website at

Approved relocation expenses will be directly invoiced to the school, college, or administrative department that authorized the move only when one of our contracted vendors is used.  The amount invoiced will not exceed the dollar amount authorized; these amounts will also be included in the employee’s taxable income. Any additional expenses not reimbursed will be the responsibility of the employee.  Should an employee decide to use a moving company other than our contracted companies he/she will be invoiced directly and receipts must be submitted to accounts payable through Concur for reimbursement. Accounts Payable will provide payroll with this information so that the reimbursement can be included in the employee’s income.

The Human Resources Department maintains the POs for our contracted vendors and questions regarding relocation can be directed to your HR Business Partner.

  Approved Moving Companies Temple Representative Contact Number
Corrigan Moving Systems
Marybeth Galardi
(440) 398-9001
Siracusa Moving and Storage
Pat Jolly
(856) 259-0241
Armstrong Relocation
John Silvernail
(585) 749-1643
updated: 05/08/2018
About Us | Site Map | Contact Us | © Temple University