University Personal Leave


Any full-time or part-time non-bargaining unit employee (20 hours or more) may apply in writing to the Human Resources Department for an unpaid University leave for personal reasons if he/she has completed at least one year of continuous service for Temple University and has used all accrued vacation time. The length of total leave time approved, including any paid time (such as vacation time) will not exceed one year.

Approval of a request for a University personal leave is a discretionary determination by the University.  If granted, a University Personal leave does not guarantee that an employee may return to his/her position and does not extend any right to reinstatement under the FMLA policy.  If the employee returns from the leave within the leave period, the University will make reasonable efforts to place the employee into an open position for which he/she is qualified. If no positions are available, the employment relationship will end.

Vacation, personal holidays and paid sick time do not accrue during any unpaid University Personal Leave.  Benefits will be continued while an employee is on unpaid University Personal Leave provided that the employee pays the entire cost of such coverage.  The University may terminate an employee’s coverage for failing to make premium contribution payments.

Upon approval from the Provost and other designated University Officers (and the President in cases where the request is greater than one year), a faculty member may request a University personal leave to pursue other personal opportunities for which compensation is received.  In general, a request for a University personal leave is for less than one year in duration. Temple, after careful and due consideration, shall grant or deny the request.

University personal leaves of absences for employees and faculty in collective bargaining units are governed by the terms of their respective bargaining agreements.

You can submit a leave of absence request through Self-Service BannerPlease click here to access SSB via the TUportal. Once logged in, under the Employee tab, select the "Leave of Absence Request" button.

For questions regarding a University personal leave of absence, please contact the Benefits Department at or 215-926-2282.


About Us | Site Map | Contact Us | © Temple University