Undergraduate writing tutors meet one-on-one with Temple students from all different majors and programs, with all different types of writing. A typical day may have you brainstorming about virtue in The Epic of Gilgamesh, jointly crafting a catchy opening for a study abroad essay to Tokyo, or helping streamline a business proposal for a food truck startup.
Writing tutors earn $12/hour and typically work 6-15 hours per week; the hours are flexible and can be scheduled around other obligations.
Who can apply:
All undergraduate students (any major, any department) are eligible to apply. We seek students who are strong academic writers, as evidenced by their writing samples. We particularly welcome applicants who
- Have previous experience tutoring or teaching
- Are active leaders on campus
- Are empathetic listeners
- Enjoy working one-on-one and with a team in a fast-paced environment
How to apply:Submit your application form and then send the following materials (by email attachment) to Darla Himeles:
- Cover letter
- 3 recent academic writing samples (from Temple coursework only)
- To begin work the following spring semester, submit materials by the Friday before Thanksgiving break.
- To begin work the following fall semester, submit materials by the third Wednesday in April.
Applications will be reviewed after each deadline, with select candidates being invited to interview in the weeks following.