The School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management seeks to educate the best and brightest while simultaneously easing their financial burden. In order to apply for the school’s scholarships, students must
- be enrolled full time in a Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management major for the upcoming semester,
- be in good academic standing at the time of application,
- meet the criteria of the specific scholarship for which they are applying, and
- take and complete appropriate coursework for their major.
The school offers both endowed and non-endowed scholarships.
- The David Bitman Endowed Scholarship is given annually to an outstanding junior or senior in Sport and Recreation Management with plans to pursue a Master of Science in Sport Business at Temple University. A strong emphasis is placed on community service when selecting the recipient.
- The Delores M. Andy Endowed Scholarship recognizes graduating seniors majoring in Sport and Recreation Management who best exemplify the spirit of volunteerism in their communities.
- The Delores W. DeShields Endowed Scholarship provides scholarships for juniors or seniors enrolled in the school who best exemplify the spirit and passion for travel and tourism that Delores DeShields displayed.
- The Evens Charles Endowed Scholarship provides scholarships for senior undergraduates majoring in Tourism and Hospitality Management with financial need. Students must be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant Program as a part of their financial aid package.
- The Gavin White Jr. Scholarship Fund provides scholarships to underrepresented students who are receiving their degree in Sport and Recreation Management, who best exemplify Gavin’s spirit of academic excellence, community involvement and perseverance.
- The Ira G. Shapiro Scholarship Fund recognizes undergraduate students in the school who best exemplify academic excellence and outstanding leadership.
- The Joel M. and Lenore Lewis Abels Endowed Scholarship honors the memory and achievements of Joel M. and Lenore Abels. The purpose of the fund is to assist today’s tourism students in becoming tomorrow’s industry leaders while maintaining the memory of Joel M. and Lenore Abels.
- The John Mannino Endowed Scholarship provides scholarships for students majoring in Tourism and Hospitality Management who best exemplify John Mannino’s passion for the hospitality industry.
- The Linda F. Higgison Scholarship Fund provides scholarships for students enrolled in the Event Leadership Certificate Program who exemplify the passion for the events industry as displayed by Linda Higgison.
- The Marie Baker Brown Endowed Scholarship provides scholarships for juniors and seniors in Tourism and Hospitality Management who best exemplify the spirit of hospitality and devotion to the industry as displayed by Marie Baker Brown.
- The Nicholas Anthony Rago Endowed Scholarship Fund provides scholarships for students enrolled in the school who have financial need and who have demonstrated significant involvement in extracurricular activities.
- The Pennsylvania Wine and Spirits Association Scholarship provides one annual scholarship to a student in the school based on academic excellence and significant financial need.
- The STHM Senior Seminar Endowed Scholarship Fund provides scholarships to selected senior undergraduate students in hospitality, recreation, sport and tourism.
- The Tamara Gilmore Scholarship Fund provides scholarships to enrolled Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management students who are intent on a career in hospitality and event management, with preference given to students who are underrepresented in this field of study and exemplify Ms. Gilmore’s professional and entrepreneurial spirit.
- The Skål International Philadelphia Scholarship Fund is the Philadelphia area club of Skål International. Skål is a professional organization of tourism leaders around the world, promoting global tourism and friendship. The scholarship was established to provide more opportunities for students.
- The STHM Alumni Association Scholarship provides scholarships for students who best exemplify the spirit of the School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management.
Additional Scholarship Resources
Scholarships and other financial support may also available from organizations such as
- American Hotel and Lodging Educational Foundation,
- The Club Foundation,
- Greater Philadelphia Chapter ISES,
- Greater Philadelphia Hotel Association,
- Hospitality Financial and Technology Professionals,
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International,
- The International Association of Conference Centers,
- National Association of Athletic Development Directors,
- National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics,
- National Collegiate Athletic Association,
- National Recreation and Park Association,
- National Restaurant Association,
- North American Society for Sport Management,
- Scholarships for African American Students and
- Scholarships for Minority Students.
Any questions about the scholarship process should be directed to the Center for Student Services.
Center for Student Services
Speakman Hall, Ste. 349
1810 N. 13th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19122
You can also contact the Center for Student Services via phone at 215-204-8905, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow these steps to apply for financial aid. Learn how your status as a transfer or international student affects your financial aid options and application process. Also read about your educational grant and loan options.