Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education: Science Education
Learn to teach teens to see the world through the lens of science by earning the BSEd in Secondary Education: Science Education. Help them understand the sciences, think critically about science-related questions and investigate objectively to uncover evidence-based answers.
Within the College of Science and Technology, you will choose a concentration in Biology, Chemistry or Physics and complete the major requirements of your chosen subject.
Within the College of Education, you will master the strategies of successful science teaching by learning to
- facilitate student understanding by showing the interrelation of key scientific concepts;
- plan instruction to keep pace with students’ cognitive development;
- schedule tasks and field experiences that complement student capacity;
- spur motivation by demonstrating science applications across different fields; and
- understand how cultural, language and socioeconomic differences influence student learning.
In addition, you will master fundamentals of general secondary education instruction, such as
- addressing literacy deficiencies without neglecting subject content time;
- applying literacy instructional methods for English language learners;
- creating classroom settings that accommodate special education needs; and
- identifying special education needs and develop productive interventions.
Your education coursework is augmented with multiple fieldwork assignments. The program culminates in an academic semester long practicum, during which you will instruct a class at an area high school supported by a cooperating teacher and Temple faculty. Your degree is awarded by the College of Education.