Graduate Certificate in Police Leadership
Develop a thorough understanding of the leadership challenges that face police command staff in an operational environment with the Graduate Certificate in Police Leadership in Temple University’s College of Liberal Arts. Students pursuing this 12-credit graduate certificate undertake a field of study designed to equip police leaders with a skill set attuned to 21st-century policing.
Courses explore all facets of police leadership, including
- decision-making styles and individual leadership characteristics;
- ethical governance and workplace management;
- evidence-based policing and decision making in the context of operational command and community crime reduction; and
- organizational leadership, both inside and outside of policing.
Upon completion of the Police Leadership Certificate (Graduate) program, policing practitioners are better equipped to
- describe best practices in leadership roles across complex work environments, especially in relation to crime, harm and disorder in the community; and
- develop their own unique leadership traits; and
- utilize research evidence.
Criminal Justice MA
Students completing coursework for the Police Leadership Graduate Certificate have the option to continue working toward the Master of Arts in Criminal Justice. This affords students the opportunity to either
- complete the certificate and transfer six credits into the MA; or
- forgo the Police Leadership Certificate (Graduate) and transfer all completed credits (up to 12) to the MA program.
Classes & Curriculum
Courses you are likely to take as part of the certificate's curriculum include
- Developmental Leadership,
- Ethical Governance,
- Evidence-Based Policing and
- Seminar in Executive Management.
The majority of Police Leadership Certificate (Graduate) classes are delivered on Temple’s Main Campus. However, Evidence-Based Policing is offered in-person at the Philadelphia Police Department Police Academy in Northeast Philadelphia, affording students the opportunity to learn in a hands-on environment.
The Police Leadership Graduate Certificate is intended for police practitioners and loss prevention leaders seeking to take the next step in their professional careers.