Bachelor of Arts in Film and Media Arts
Summary of Requirements for the Degree
The Bachelor of Arts degree may be conferred upon a student majoring in Film and Media Arts by recommendation of the faculty and upon satisfactory completion of a minimum of 121 credit hours. Students must complete:
- University requirements:
- New students are required to complete the General Education (GenEd) curriculum.
- All students must take a minimum of two writing-intensive courses. The specific writing-intensive courses required for this major are listed below and identified with the code "WI".
- No more than 21 FMA credits can be transferred to the major.
- Students must earn a grade of "C-" or better in all Film and Media Arts courses that count towards the degree.
- Students may take up to 6 internship credits in Film and Media Arts.
- Students may count at least 42 FMA credits and a maximum of 66 FMA credits toward the 121 credit hours required for the degree.
Meeting 42 Credit Requirement
The following represents requirements for completing the BA in Film and Media Arts. Because some of these courses are variable credits, they may not add up to the 42 credits required for the degree. In that case, students must take additional FMA electives at the 2000+ level to reach the required 42 credits.
FMA Foundation Courses
Film and Media Arts students will complete the following courses by the end of the sophomore year:
|FMA 1141||Media Arts I||4|
|FMA 1142||Media Arts II||4|
|FMA 1171||Media & Culture||3|
|FMA 1172||Introduction to Film and Video Analysis||3|
|Select one of the following:||4|
|Experimental Video and Multi-Media|
|Screenwriting I 1|
|Select one of the following:||3-4|
|Survey of New Media|
|Film History I (1895-1950)|
|Film History II (1950-Present)|
|History of Experimental Film and Video Art|
|Two FMA 2000+ level Studies or Production Electives 1||6-8|
|FMA 3000+ Writing-Intensive Elective (WI)||4|
|FMA 3000+ level Studies Elective 2||3-4|
|FMA 3000+ level Production or Studies Elective 2||3-4|
|Total FMA Credit Hours||42|
If FMA 2396 is not taken, then one of the 2000+ Studies or Production electives must be Writing Intensive.
For which the student has completed the prerequisites.