Scholarships & Financial Aid

There are a number of university funding, external scholarships and federal financial aid options to help you fund your graduate degree.

College of Science and Technology Awards

There are a number of awards for teaching and research performed by science and technology graduate students.

The CIS Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant award is given to Computer and Information Sciences graduate students who demonstrate excellence in teaching.

The Dean’s Award for Outstanding Teaching Assistant is awarded to a CST graduate student who demonstrates exemplary teaching, as well as making significant contributions to the field of STEM education through outreach and mentoring.

Established in 2010 in memory of a CST faculty member, the Dr. Mark A. Nathanson Memorial Research Award in Developmental Biology was provides an award to a graduate biology student with preference for students specializing in developmental biology.

The Outstanding Research Awards recognize CST graduate students who demonstrate excellence in research.

The Outstanding Teaching Assistant Awards are given to CST graduate students who demonstrate excellence in teaching.

Established in memory of Scott Hibbs, the Scott Hibbs Memorial Future of Computing Award prize is awarded to a graduate student majoring in Computer and Information Sciences who has demonstrated academic achievement.

College of Science and Technology Scholarships

The College of Science and Technology also offers the following scholarship opportunities to its graduate students.

Established in 2004 in honor of Peter Havas, Peter Havas Humanitarian Scholarship for Outstanding Physics Graduate Students provides scholarships for graduate students majoring in physics who have demonstrated academic achievement and who have financial need.

Established in 2009 in memory of Thomas Punnett, a biology professor at Temple, the Thomas Punnett, PhD, Memorial Scholarship Fund provides summer financial support for outstanding graduate students majoring in biology or biochemistry in the College of Science and Technology who have financial need.

Graduate Assistantships 

As a graduate student, you may apply for the following forms of university financial aid.

  1. Research assistantships are awarded competitively. Research assistants work up to 20 hours a week and are compensated with a basic health insurance plan, a stipend and tuition remission.

  2. Teaching assistantships typically require you to work 20 hours a week in support of the department’s undergraduate programs. You’ll be compensated with a basic health insurance plan, nine credits of tuition remission per term and a nine-month stipend.

External Funding: Graduate Scholarships, Fellowships and Awards

Certain organizations outside of Temple University provide grants, fellowships, scholarships and other awards for graduate students. Learn more about the numerous external awards and funds available to graduate students.

Federal Financial Aid

Federal Stafford Loans

Applying for Federal Stafford Loans requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  At Temple University, unsubsidized Stafford Loans are available to full-time graduate students up to a maximum amount of $20,500 annually.

Federal Work Study

Eligibility for the Federal Work-Study Program is based on the applicant’s need as determined by the information on the applicant's FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled at least half-time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students are paid bi-weekly for hours worked.

Learn aid, scholarship and work study options at Student Financial Services, as well as aid information specific to graduate students.

Aid for International Students

Learn more about specific information on financial aid for international students, including a list of organizations that provide financial aid, loan programs and scholarships.

Contact Student Financial Services at or 215-204-2244 to learn more about your particular situation.