Scholarships & Financial Aid

The Athletic Training program is committed to supporting its students’ financial needs. In the past three years, 100 percent of students have received some form of financial support. Funding includes

  • graduate assistantships in local high schools and
  • teaching assistantships in the Department of Kinesiology.

Assistantships consist of a living stipend plus tuition remission in exchange for work in teaching and research for the department.

Athletic Training Program Scholarship

The Athletic Training Prize is awarded to currently enrolled Athletic Training students at any level, based on academic merit and financial need.

College of Public Health Graduate Student Scholarships

The College of Public Health offers a number of different funding sources for graduate students. 

Established in 2013 by David R. Devereaux, FOX ’86, the CPH Visionary Research Fund provides research grants to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the College of Public Health, offering the opportunity to engage with faculty in research that builds knowledge about health, well-being, and opportunities for people and their communities.

The Emergency Fund was established in 2016 by the College of Public Health’s Board of Visitors to provide financial support to students with emergencies that will interfere with academic progress. Applicants must be in good academic standing to be eligible.

Established in 2013 by Robert R. Brandis, the Jill Brandis Memorial Visionary Research Fund provides research grants to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the College of Public Health, offering the opportunity to engage with faculty in research that builds knowledge about health, well-being, and opportunities for people and their communities.

Established in 2005 by Shire Pharmaceuticals, the Shire Fellows Fund provides fellowships for either graduate students or postdoctoral students enrolled in the College of Public Health who plan to pursue careers in the psychopharmacology of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or the psychopharmacology of ADHD and other related problems.

Graduate Kinesiology Scholarships

Established in 1999 by Donald R. Hilsendager, former dean of the School of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, the Donald R. Hilsendager Endowed Scholarship Fund provides scholarships for academically talented graduate students majoring in kinesiology.

The Dr. Carole Oglesby Scholarship Fund was established in 1998 by Deborah Larkin in honor of Carole Oglesby, EDU ’99, a respected member of the Temple faculty, to provide scholarships for graduate students majoring in kinesiology who show scholarly and leadership promise in the area of African American women in sports.

Graduate Fellowships

Fellowships are available through Temple’s Graduate School for students with exceptional academic records. They include

  • Presidential Fellowships, which are reserved for only the most outstanding candidates;
  • University Fellowships, which are intended to support students who demonstrate outstanding potential for success in their chosen fields; and
  • Future Faculty Fellowships, which are meant to attract outstanding students who would diversify the professoriate. Candidates are newly admitted graduate students from underrepresented groups in an applicant’s discipline who show exceptional leadership or have overcome significant obstacles in pursuing academic careers. For more information, visit the Future Faculty Fellow Program webpage.

These fellowships provide a stipend plus tuition for two years. Check out this Fellowship FAQ for more answers to common questions.

Fellowship Advising

Information on fellowship-related workshops for current graduate students can be found in the Deadlines and Events section of Scholar Development and Fellowships Advising. Resources for preparing applications can be found under Application Resources.

If you are considering applying for a graduate fellowship, schedule an appointment to meet with the fellowships advisor. You do not need to have a draft prepared; sometimes talking through your ideas is a great starting point.

Graduate Student External Funding

Learn more about the numerous external awards and funds available to graduate students. A selection of externally funded fellowships is also included below.

External Funding Sources

Note: These external fellowship opportunities fund supplemental experiences (research, institutes) or graduate studies or research. They are typically not intended to cover Temple’s tuition and fees.

The American Association of University Women awards grants and fellowships to students performing research in a wide range of disciplines and working to improve their schools and communities.

Ford Fellowships seek to increase the diversity of the nation’s college and university faculties. Predoctoral, dissertation and postdoctoral fellowships are awarded.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program provides grants for independent study, research and creative projects or English teaching assistantships abroad for an academic year. All enrolled students must apply through the university; see Temple's Fulbright page for more information.

Fellowship Databases and Other Resources

The AAAS Fellowships Resources lists professional associations that often offer awards, scholarships or funding opportunities in that discipline.

The Cornell Fellowships Database is a searchable database for graduate students.

Through GRAPES at UCLA you can search for awards from more than 600 fellowships, grants, postdoctoral awards and scholarships for applicants to graduate programs, current graduate students working on master’s theses or doctoral dissertations and postdoc scholars.

The Rutgers GradFund is a searchable database for graduate students.

Federal Stafford Loans

Applying for Federal Stafford Loans requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). At Temple University, unsubsidized Stafford loans up to a maximum amount of $20,500 annually are available to full-time graduate students.

Federal Work-Study

Eligibility for the Federal Work-Study program is based on applicant need as determined by the information on an applicant’s FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled at least half-time and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Students are paid biweekly for hours worked.

Learn more about aid, scholarship and work-study options at Student Financial Services, as well as aid information specific to graduate students.