Waivers pay for supports and services that eligible people need to live in the community instead of an institution. For Pennsylvanians with intellectual disabilities, there are two waivers run by the Office of Developmental Programs (ODP), the Person/Family Directed Support and the Consolidated Waivers.
Waivers Frequently Asked Questions
Waivers Frequently Asked Questions - available as text or audio
Consolidated and Person/Family Directed Supports (PFDS) Waiver Service Definitions
"Service Definitions" are descriptions of each service covered under the Consolidated and Person/Family Directed Support Waivers (P/FDS) and through other intellectual disability funding. Service definitions provide a standardized definition, unit and billing code for each service.
Approved Intellectual Disabilities Waivers in PA
Pennsylvania submits an application to the federal government for each waiver which outlines how Pennsylvania will operate that waiver. The application explains eligibility, services, provider standards and other details about each waiver.
PDF documents require Adobe Reader. Get Adobe Reader
Consolidated Waiver, amended 6-13 (PDF, 1.45MB)
PFDS Waiver, amended 6-13 (PDF, 1.43MB)
Waiver Renewal Information 2012
Federal rules require that every five years ODP must renew the Consolidated and PFDS Waivers. The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) approved the ODP five year Waiver Renewals for the Consolidated and P/FDS Waivers on May 24, 2012. The approved Waiver Renewals are effective July 1, 2012. ODP has been communicating about the Waiver changes through memos and informational packets.
ODP Communications About Waiver Changes
#00-14-06, Fee Schedule Rates and Department-Established Fees for Consolidated and Person/Family Directed Support Waivers Services, Targeted Services Management and the Community Intellectual Disability Base-Funded Program Effective January 1, 2015 - PDF
049-12 Announcement on Regulations Update
- Regulations - Chapter 51 Office of Developmental Programs Home and Community-Based Services
- 55 Pa. Code Chapter 6211 amendments "Allowable Cost Reimbursement for Non-State Operated Intermediate Care Facilities for Persons with an Intellectual Disability"
Waiver Service Requests
Waiver Service Request Form (DP 1022) is used when an individual or their family is requesting a new service or a change in services and the team cannot agree to add it to the ISP.
Service Delivery Preference
Part of applying for services through the ID system is saying whether you want services in an ICF/MR (institutional setting) or in home and community settings. The form that you will fill out to state your choice is called the "HOME AND COMMUNITY-BASED OR ICF/MR APPLICATION AND SERVICE DELIVERY PREFERENCE FORM." If you want your services in the home and community, this form is also your application for those services.
Home and Community Based or ICF/MR Application and Service Delivery Preference Form (PDF) (User Friendly Version)
Form letter from ODP if Choice is Home and Community Based Services Waiver Service Preference (PDF)
Form letter from ODP if Choice is ICF/MR Waiver Service Preference (PDF)
Form letter from ODP if Didn't choose ICF/MR or Home and Community Based Services No Service Delivery Preference (PDF)
Individual Eligibility for Medicaid Waiver Services
ODP Eligibility and the process for determining eligibility for ID waivers is outlined in Bulletin 00-08-04.
- letter - Individual Eligibility for Medicaid Waiver Services (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 1, ICF/MR Documentation Needed Letter] Individual Eligibility for Medicaid Waiver Services (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 1a, Form and Instructions for Completing MA-51 Medical Evaluation (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 2, Certification of Need for ICF/MR Level of Care (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 3, ICF/MR Documentation Needed-2nd Notice Letter (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 4, ICF/MR No Documentation Received Letter (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 5, ICF/MR Meets Requirement Letter (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 6, ICF/MR Does Not Meet Requirement Letter (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 7, PA 1768 HCBS Eligibility/Ineligibility/Change Form (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 8, PA 600 L SG - Medical Assistance (MEDICAID) Financial Eligibility Application for Long Term Care, Supports and Services (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 9, PA 4 - Authorization for Release of Information (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 10, ICF/MR Level of Care Retedermination Needed Letter (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 11, DP 251 - Annual Recertification of Need for ICF/MR Level of Care (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 12, Re-Determination of ICF/MR Level of Care Meets Requirement Letter (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 13, Re-Determination of ICF/MR Level of Care Does Not Meet Requirement Letter (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 14, DP 458 - Fair Hearing Request Form (PDF)
- attachment - attachment 14a, Legal Services Program Directory (PDF)
Previous Versions of Intellectual Disabilities Waivers
Consolidated Waiver, 7-1-09 (updated 5-4-11) (PDF, 1.23MB)
PFDS Waiver, 7-1-09 (updated 5-4-11) (PDF, 1.24MB)
Partnership Trainings About the Waivers
The Partnership offers several trainings that will help you understand the ID waivers including how to apply, the services available and your rights.
Understanding Intellectual Disability Waivers for self-advocates
PDF documents require Adobe Reader. Get Adobe Reader
To find the full list of ODP Bulletins, please see the Publications section of our website.