News of the Week
April 15 , 2015
The Outsider continues to make inroads
- Dan Rottenberg, author of The Outsider, will be speaking at the Kennedy House Cultural Society, 1901 J. F. Kennedy Blvd. in Philadelphia, on April 15 at 7:30 pm.
- Rottenberg will also be at the Chestnut Hill Rotary Club's Breakfast at the Chestnut Hill Presbyterian Church, 8855 Germantown Avenue, on April 22 at 7:30 am.
The David C. Driskell Distinguished Lecture in the Visual Arts Series
Dancing at Temple University's Rock Hall
C-Span interview at the Los Angeles Times' Festival of Books
Miriam Frank in the Bay Area
Roger Aden in Philadelphia
- Roger Aden, author of Upon the Ruins of Liberty, will be on a panel about the development of the President's House memorial at Independence Hall, the subject of his book, on April 23 at 12:30 pm. The panel is part of the Eastern Communication Association's annual convention and will take place at the Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, 1 Dock Street, in Philadelphia.
Kate Eichhorn in England
Ed Berger at St. Peter's Church
Harilyn Rousso video and blogs
The Spring 2015 issue of Legacies: A History Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas, reviewed Robert Fairbanks' The War on Slums in the Southwest
- The review read, "[The book] solidifies Fairbanks' reputation: no one knows more about the fraught connections between housing policy and urban development at the local state and federal levels....a brilliant book."
Serial Fu Manchu, by Ruth Meyer, was reviewed in the May 2015 issue of Pacific Historical Review
- The review read, "Meyer explores the pervasiveness of the Fu Manchu figure in twentieth-century American popular culture.... Serial Fu Manchu points to the importance of serialization in American popular culture and the common practice of creating and repackaging characters such as Fu Manchu within it. This practice reinforced Asian and Asian American stereotypes and affirmed American imperialist and nativist attitudes and policies in the twentieth century."
A shout out for software studies
Society of Architectural Historians conference, April 15-20, Chicago, IL
Organization of American Historians, April 16-19, St. Louis, MO
Association for Asian American Studies conference, April 23-25, Evanston, IL
North Philly Notes
- This week in North Philly Notes, we highlight some of our Phillies titles for the start of Baseball Season.
- Books Combined is the new blog published by Combined Academic Publishers, who represent Temple University Press in the United Kingdom as well as Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Watch this space for forthcoming entries by Temple University Press authors!
NOTE: Links are not available for all stories. Links that do appear were active when the stories were compiled, but can change over time. Some media outlets require paid subscriptions.